Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dilkushpatel
Helper III
Helper III

New column in source table not appearing in dataset after refresh

Hi,

I added 3 columns to existing table which is part of Power BI dataset.

Columns are added to SQL DB and datasetif getting data directly from SQL.

After this I refreshed my dataset and after refresh I'm not seeing this newly added columns in my dataset.

Am i missing something here?

Thanks,

Dilkush

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you use the Edit Queries button in Power BI Desktop, find a Removed Columns step (or similar) and see if the new columns show up in that list, but without a check mark. If the underlying Power Query only specified the use of certain columns, you would have to specify these new columns for inclusion as well.

Edit Queries.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
heretolearn

Something different worked for me. I had a CSV source, and in the query editor, in the first applied step "Source", it specified how many columns to include. I simply changed the number, and now the added columns are there.

Catcheson
Frequent Visitor

Morning

Something that may be useful...

I had the same problem - added a new column to a SharePoint list which is a source for BI Reports and it did not show up in the report source.  We have been adding columns for months and the refresh has always brought the new columns in.

We narrowed the problem down to the use of a special character ( _ ) in the name of the column in SharePoint.  Renaming did not work but when I recreated the field without the special character it was fine!

The weirdness of Power BI which is becoming more and more apparent with every day I use it!

Hope that helps...

Hi Catcheson,

I'm working on a model that pulls data from three SharePoint lists. It's pretty much complete except now it's been requested to modify some of the column names and add on additional columns to these SharePoint lists. This modifies the framework and I'm worried my model will reject the modified lists. Any advice on this?

Thank you!

Haegi
Advocate V
Advocate V

Hello,

You use a SQL connection between your SQL database and PowerBI desktop?

Can you see new columns in the queries editor but not in the dataset and relationship panel ?

Regards.

HI,

Do you mean query editor in SSMS, if yes then I can see columns there.

In Power BI desktop do we have any query editor?

From people i talked looks like power BI desktop will not get new columns when we refresh it it will just refresh data.

So if that is not true let me know how this works.

Thanks,

Dilkush

If you use the Edit Queries button in Power BI Desktop, find a Removed Columns step (or similar) and see if the new columns show up in that list, but without a check mark. If the underlying Power Query only specified the use of certain columns, you would have to specify these new columns for inclusion as well.

Edit Queries.png

yes that edit query was the trick.

stumble upon that yesterday.

-Dilkush

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors