Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Burma
Helper I
Helper I

New bug: The column does not exist in the rowset.

Hi, recently I've started getting an error in Power BI Service, which does not happen in Power BI Desktop

I'm getting "column does not exist in the rowset" error when refreshing a published dataset in which column names were changed. Column names are not referenced anywhere in the query or DAX formulas.

Repro steps:

1. Publish a Power BI Report that translates datasource columns to Power BI data model table columns as is (make sure no column name is explicitly referenced anywhere). For example: SharePoint List (see the full code listing below);

2. Rename a column in the source dataset

3. Try refreshing the published dataset. It would fail in Service, but not in Desktop

let
    Source = SharePoint.Tables("https://<...>.sharepoint.com/", [ApiVersion = 15]),
    #"18b84cec-73a7-4841-9c09-c14b4ee402e2" = Source{[Id="18b84cec-73a7-4841-9c09-c14b4ee402e2"]}[Items],
    Custom1 = #"18b84cec-73a7-4841-9c09-c14b4ee402e2",
    Custom2 = Custom1{0}[ContentType],
    Custom3 = Custom2[Fields],
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(Custom3,{"Title"}),
    #"Transposed Table" = Table.Transpose(#"Removed Other Columns"),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Transposed Table", [PromoteAllScalars=true])
in
    #"Promoted Headers"

This wasn't the case until recently

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Burma ,

For the issue, I cannot reproduce it here. We suggest you to open a ticket here for help if you are a pro user: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Support Ticket .gif

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
csabil
Advocate II
Advocate II

Any update on this issue? 

It started happening to me yesterday after updating on of the source files (excel on SharePoint). It's looking for "Column70" which doesn't exist and not referenced anywhere in the query either.

When you say you solved removing the lf from the column name, which column? It's looking for one which doesn't exist...

Thanks for the help

It also refreshes fine in the desktop app but fails in the web app?

The original issue seems to happen with SharePoint lists, but not Excel files

jnixon
Helper III
Helper III

I had same problem this morning.  Cleared caches, didn't help.  In the end, I found that the columns in question had a (lf) in the name.  When I renamed the columns without the linefeed, everything worked.  Not sure if this is your problem, but wanted to share my solution.

Thanks!

I had the same error, and it was indeed caused by a linefeed in the name of the column...

venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Burma 

Note:-  Clear the cache from the Power BI Desktop >> File >> Options & Settings >> Options >>Data Cache, Q &A Cache (Clear Cache)

Open the PBIX file in Power BI Desktop.

Home >> Edit Queries >> Edit Queries >> Refresh Preview >> Refresh All >> Close and Apply

Home > Refresh >>Check for the data in all the visuals to all the pages in the report level.

File >> Save As >> with different name and publish.

Try to check with "Refresh Now/Schedule Refresh". (If it is required, try to configure the data source to the gateway).

If you get any error, please share the error information from the "Refresh History" by clicking on "Show Details".

Clearing the cache just as listed her resolved this issue for me.

Thank You!

Tried that already, no change...

error.png

Hi @Burma ,

For the issue, I cannot reproduce it here. We suggest you to open a ticket here for help if you are a pro user: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Support Ticket .gif

Best regards,

Done and we were able to reproduce it with the support agent. I've also asked to share this with the product group

I am having the exact same issue.  Prior to Friday this was not a problem, however it was (and still is) causing serious workflow issues for my users.  This 'Misc Code 01' is not a column in my file from sharepoint.  On Friday, I was getting the same error, except the referenced non-existing column was 'Subnet', which is again, not a real column in my data.

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

is there any solution to this one? Having the exact same error.

No, to my knowlege this bug is still there 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

did you open a support ticket for the issue? can you please share a link to it?

Yes, it was 119101322000058

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors