Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

matemusic
Advocate III
Advocate III

New app experience: Can't display this visual (but after refresh it can)

Hi everyone!

I have organizational visuals, which are working all right on reports and most of the time on workspace dashboards.

But when app is published, users see an error: "Can't display this visual" with description "This custom visual is no longer available. Please contact your administrator for details.". 

When user refresh a page with F5, visuals are working OK. It is very disturbing. Is there a way to solve this problem? 

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-lili6-msft , 

clear cache doesn't work. I tried with different accounts, chrome and opera browser, incognito and non incognito mode.

This most often happen in app (with new navigation) and now sometimes I noticed in new workspace too.

It seems that a source of a problem are organizational visuals. I think that when user open an app, Power BI doesn't recognise that user has a permission to see organizational visual. When page is refreshed, then permission is recognized.

For now, I did a workaround: for each report I manually uploaded a visual from local computer and not from organizational store. This works, but not best way for future upgrading.

best Regards, 

MM

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello! I think we have this issue and looking to see if others are having it too.

Situation:  v2 Workspaces are called Workspace A & B

We're housing a dataset on workspace A, defining row-level security roles in the dataset .pbix and assigning users to them in Power BI Service once it's published. We are sharing a report connected to that live dataset into workspace B.  Which means a shared dataset is now inherited in Workspace B. We know the security for the dataset should also be inherited in workspace B because it is a shared datset. We built a dashboard in workspace B off of that report, and are deploying a Power BI app in Workspace B by sharing the app to individual usernames.  Our users are NOT members of the workspaces- we just want them to consume the app content. We are on Power BI Premium. We have confirmed that the row level security roles work for all users who are accessing the reports themselves directly via report share.

However, when a user opens the app in any device, and is NOT a member of both workspaces A and B, they randomly see some 'Can't display the visual' errors on SELECT visuals, but not all!  They are all driven off of the dataset that has been shared into that workspace via report publish.  Any ideas on why this is happening? Users shouldn't have to be members of workspaces to be shared a Power BI app right?? Is this an outstanding bug?   To keep it simple, I mentioned one dataset, but we have 2 datasets driving app content but they are all governed the same way.

Thanks for any help!

I just wanted to thank you because I was having the same problem and couldn't understand what was wrong. Users had to be members in both workspaces. Not just viewers... Wow, I was having such a hard time not figuring out this one, all my work in the visuals, the app, the datasets... had become useless.

I hope wherever you are karma rewards you.

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @matemusic 

If you clear browser cache and try it again?

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lili6-msft , 

clear cache doesn't work. I tried with different accounts, chrome and opera browser, incognito and non incognito mode.

This most often happen in app (with new navigation) and now sometimes I noticed in new workspace too.

It seems that a source of a problem are organizational visuals. I think that when user open an app, Power BI doesn't recognise that user has a permission to see organizational visual. When page is refreshed, then permission is recognized.

For now, I did a workaround: for each report I manually uploaded a visual from local computer and not from organizational store. This works, but not best way for future upgrading.

best Regards, 

MM

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors