Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

eduardo_85
Frequent Visitor

New Workspace Administration

Hi all,

We have developed a BI Project in which we are using Power BI for the presentation layer. In our Client we have some super-users that want to create their own reports, so we are thinking to also enable them to create their own Workspaces (new Workspace concept) and applications. 

My concern is that I don't want this to end up in having tons of Workspaces and applications created without control by this super-users, so I would like to have the option to also manage (edit, delete, etc.) every Workspace and application created under our tenant.

How can I do this? In Power BI administration Portal I see all Workspaces but I cannot edit them directly, and if I select a Workspace from this menu (inside admin Portal) and try to grant access to a users-group, it doesn't allow it, and my security is based on groups.

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @eduardo_85 

Would you like to ship APIs and PowerShell cmdlets for Power BI management?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/power-bi/overview?view=powerbi-ps 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Hi, @v-diye-msft ,

I am working with Power BI Cloud service. Sorry for my ignorance, but it seems to me that the link you refer to is some SW that I have to install on a server. How does this work with Power BI Cloud service? I am sorry but I don't know how can this solve the issue I am facing.

Thanks,

Hi there

The way it currently works is that you have to go into the App Workspace and add the security groups there.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi, @GilbertQ , so then it is not possible to grant access to a Workspace for a users-group from the admin portal. This is a functionality gap in my opinion...

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

For older groups you cannot add yourself to the group.

For new App Workspaces you are able to add yourself to the App Workspace. This will then allow you to add the required groups to the App Workspaces?

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @eduardo_85, to elaborate on @GilbertQ's answer:

You can indeed only enter user accounts in the Workspaces part of the Admin Portal. But there is a workaround to accomplish the thing you need.

Once you've added yourself and have access to that workspace, you can navigate to the workspace itself (so outside the Admin Portal), add your desired group (of admins for example) and delete your single user account from there.

Hope this might help you.

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Thanks, @nickyvv  and @GilbertQ 

This workaround is the only option? It is not possible to grant access to a Workspace for a users-group from the admin portal?

This Power BI is under a secondary Azure tenant, in which I am a guest and part of a users-group. The issue I am facing is that from the admin portal it seems impossible to grant access to a Workspace for either a users-group or a guest, so it looks like the only option is to create a local user in this secondary tenant, which we are trying not to do for security reasons.

Is there any other option?

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors