Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

New Usage Metrics - incorrect page views

Hi, 

in the new usage metrics when you look at the view count per page, it seems that only very few views are counted for compared to total views by report. It seems that in the data model sectionids won't connect correctly. Most of the report page views are for sectionids that don't exist in Report Pages table. Does it have something to do with republishing of the report? It seems that sectionid changes with the republish.

Thanks for your help!

8 REPLIES 8
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I have tested the new usage metrics of my report,see below:

2.png

Could you show me your screenshot and advise me what do you mean by sectionid?

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @v-kelly-msft 

My usage report looks a bit different (see page views card).

4.png

See how the page views is just fraction of all the Report Opens.

By SectionId I mean columns on Report Pages and Report Page Views tables in the underlying Usage Metrics Report dataset. The mismatch between SectionIds in these tables might be related to replacing the report with new version.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User
Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak Thanks for your reply, but no help from that link.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Check the similar post below:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Report-Usage-Metrics-Page-view-information-not-populating/m-p/1087877

Best Regards,
Kelly

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-kelly-msft Yes thanks, I saw that, but there is no clear answer to my problem, unless the answer is that page usage is just shown on the report and included in the data model, but it doesn't work?

Hi @Anonymous ,

I have checked the blog below which can help solve your issue:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-improved-report-usage-metrics-in-modern-workspaces/

Comparing the old and new usage metrics report, you will find that the Report usage pages both show unique viewers and ranking. However, it is important to call out that the measures—and therefore the displayed results—are fundamentally different between old and new. This is because the old and new usage metrics use different definitions and methods to track report usage. The old usage metrics report relied on client-side instrumentation and tracked every report page transition as a separate report view. The new usage metrics report relies on the ViewReport activity event in the Power BI service to count report views. The new usage metrics report tracks page views separately. Accordingly, the report view count is typically smaller in the new usage report. If you want to see which report pages your users work with the most, then on the Report usage page, click on Pages in the lower right area. The following diagram illustrates the difference between report views and page views in the new and improved usage metrics report.

Maybe you could use power shell to get the actual views if needed.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-kelly-msft  - thanks for your reply!

I don't think that is the problem, because the problem I see is related to new usage metrics data model in which page views won't connect correctly to other tables.

But yes, I too was thinking about querying Power BI activity log with PowerShell. Unfortunately it might be so, that I won't be able to get sufficient permissions to do this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors