Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kattlees
Post Patron
Post Patron

New Sharing Experience Question

We read the article on the "new sharing experience" for users. Am I correct that the end user will still need a pro license to see any reports and there is no other way to have someone in my organization without a pro license to see a report unless I publish to the web?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/new-sharing-experience-coming-soon/

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @kattlees ,

The rule is always - you have to have a license to see a report.  You can have a Pro License or the report can be covered in a Premium license.  But, you always have to have a license to see a report.  This article is about a new and more nuanced way to share the report - but it does not negate a license so you are correct - only publish to web is a way to share a report without a license for the viewer (and there you have the exception to the "always" rule  😀 )

THis article explains sharing in more detail, but it does talk about licensing.

Share Power BI reports and dashboards with coworkers and others - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @kattlees 

Yes, the end user need to have a prol license to view the report.

If you want to let users who do not have a pro license in the organization view any reports,

the report needs to be in the premium capacity, or the report can be published to web,

but then everyone can view your report, which has the problem of data security.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @kattlees ,

The rule is always - you have to have a license to see a report.  You can have a Pro License or the report can be covered in a Premium license.  But, you always have to have a license to see a report.  This article is about a new and more nuanced way to share the report - but it does not negate a license so you are correct - only publish to web is a way to share a report without a license for the viewer (and there you have the exception to the "always" rule  😀 )

THis article explains sharing in more detail, but it does talk about licensing.

Share Power BI reports and dashboards with coworkers and others - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors