Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ChicagoJay

New Get Data leaving me stranded - can't create reports!

The new experience of creating a new report starting with Get Data is just resulting with a new Excel file on the Workbooks tab in My Workspace. All the documents I've found online and books I have show the result of "getting data" should be a new report or dataset being created. I can't find any way to create a new report from an Excel file that has been imported online so I'm really stuck. 

5 REPLIES 5
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ChicagoJay,

Did you get data in Power BI service? By that way, You cannot create a normal report. When you choose Connect, your workbook will appear in Power BI just like it would in Excel Online. You can refer the document here. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-excel-workbook-files

You can only get data using Power BI desktop, Please check the online document.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @ChicagoJay,

I tested it again by uploading an excel file. You can refer to the step as below.

1. get data - local file - upload

1.PNG

2. Then you can find it in Workbooks and datasets. Also you can use the dataset to create reports as well.

2.PNG3.PNG

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @ChicagoJay,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to close the case.

Regards,
Frank

Sorry, but the article you linked to would do exactly what I need to do but the experience in the BI service doesn't match what is documented anymore. If you "get data" in the service, the docs state that once it's been uploaded it can be found under Reports or Datasets. Neither is the case anymore, it's only showing up under Workbooks. I'm dead in the water when it comes to my Excel files. Performing get data on a CSV file however, does result in a new report and dataset being created. This is really frustrating because I can't even find where these workbooks are being saved - OneDrive? SharePoint?

I replicated what you are trying to do and it works as intended, importing a csv got the same file named dataset and also allowed me to create a thereof. If you have a multi-tab excel I believe PBI Service would give you an option which says import data or upload file. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors