Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Need your feedback - new Power BI web show

I'm posting here as there's not a clear place to ask this question. My apologies if you consider this noise.

I'm starting my own web show, a la, Guy in a Cube style, directed at more user facing Power BI topics. My first episode was prompted by a marketing email that totally wasn't using the right visual for what they wanted to convey. I found myself getting irritated with the email as I was trying to read it. It was one long email of donut charts for stack ranking data. Stephen Few probably would have had a coronary seeing this email.

This lead me to doing this episode. I've found that even when the technology is implemented correctly, these are the types of topics that trip up our users. 

I'd love your feedback on:

a. What do you think? Is the length/sound/video quality good? 

b. Was there anything about this you would change?

c. Is there some topic you've encounted with your users/clients that would make a great episode?

First episode: Donut Charts: When pretty goes wrong.

https://tumbleroad.com/2016/07/03/power-bi-donut-charts-pretty-goes-wrong/ 

Next episode is a follow up, additional usability considerations for those times you have to do a stack rank and show a long list of values.

Treb Gatte, Business Solutions MVP | @tgatte | Blog | CIO Magazine Blog

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@trebgatte  First - great idea, I always see "where can I learn" type questions. This would be another great resource to point to.

I really like the idea, and the format is one that I see would be very useful.

Length - great

Sound - Decent, There are points where it almost sounds a bit "pixelated" - poor word choice, but there is a slight machine like tone that I pick up. 

Video - got a little blurry on larger monitors - having option for 1080p would be nice. Can only go to 720.

The red theme is a bit "angry" for me. It was a little distracting to have the bright red around everything especially in full screen mode. (personal preference)

If you feel comfortable, I think having a small window where people can see you would help draw in my attention as you talk about various elements. I think it would help engage viewers more since you plan on doing alot of these.

c. Is there some topic you've encounted with your users/clients that would make a great episode?

Maps - when to use, how to use, tips&tricks for Power BI usage. - lots of questions around these in the forums

If your audience is beginner, you could make an episode on each visual with tips on best use cases and what not to use them for. Same as your first one.

If you went through all the visuals with these types of recommendations, your vids could be used as a source for beginners using Power BI....Then throw in a "review" of Custom visuals, or something to that effect, for some variation. (just some brainstorming ideas).

Thanks for sharing!

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@trebgatte  First - great idea, I always see "where can I learn" type questions. This would be another great resource to point to.

I really like the idea, and the format is one that I see would be very useful.

Length - great

Sound - Decent, There are points where it almost sounds a bit "pixelated" - poor word choice, but there is a slight machine like tone that I pick up. 

Video - got a little blurry on larger monitors - having option for 1080p would be nice. Can only go to 720.

The red theme is a bit "angry" for me. It was a little distracting to have the bright red around everything especially in full screen mode. (personal preference)

If you feel comfortable, I think having a small window where people can see you would help draw in my attention as you talk about various elements. I think it would help engage viewers more since you plan on doing alot of these.

Maps - when to use, how to use, tips&tricks for Power BI usage. - lots of questions around these in the forums

If your audience is beginner, you could make an episode on each visual with tips on best use cases and what not to use them for. Same as your first one.

If you went through all the visuals with these types of recommendations, your vids could be used as a source for beginners using Power BI....Then throw in a "review" of Custom visuals, or something to that effect, for some variation. (just some brainstorming ideas).

Thanks for sharing!

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@mihart, exactly. There's a lot of people just hearing about Power BI for the first time. I typically focus on the Project Online/Project Server segment which has the dual struggle of new tech to learn combined with large data sets. I'm doing Project Dashboards in One Day classes for them to get them interested. 

@Seth_C_Bauer, thank you for the feedback. Hmm, yes red does seem a bit angry. I was thinking energetic. Perhaps a blue would work better. Calming.  

I'm speaking with the platform vendor on how to enable 1080p in their rendering so thank you for that.

I do plan to be on-screen as I need to find a place to set up a green screen first. 

Great ideas on the visuals! I'll add to my list. Next time I'm in the Madison area, I'll give you a shout.

Thanks! All feedback is welcome.

Treb Gatte, Business Solutions MVP | @tgatte | Blog | CIO Magazine Blog

mihart
Employee
Employee

Hi,

I enjoyed the video.  Donut charts are similar to pie charts -- both are pretty but not as useful as alternate visual types.

But just saying this is one thing, showing it drives the point home.

I think there is a segment of PBI users who will appreciate these types of 100-level vids (if that's your plan).  We often overlook the beginners or basic users who can be scared away from asking for help when they see the complexity of the other posts and questions.

Thanks for sharing.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@trebgatte Hi Treb, I can't see video. It says video is private.

Whoops! User error! Try that again. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors