Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need to add in new source to dataset on service - but keep report live and same URL

Hello all,

I've recently published a report online through the PBI Service and sent out the embed code/url to various stakeholders. Unfortunately I've now been asked to add in some additional info which will include adding in a new source to the dataset through PBI Desktop. I need to keep the embed code/URL the same.

I've noticed that when I re-publish the same desktop file onto the online service, I am asked to re-publish the source online and am given a new, different embed code/URL. This is frustrating as it breaks the visual when the old report is deleted, and I have update the embed code on the website where it is hosted.

I also can't seem to simply upload the new dataset (with new source within it) and change the parameters/otherwise link the original report, to build what I need to do using the online service.

Can I do either of the following:

- upload the new dataset onto the online service and then change the original report's datasource to the new one

- or, publish a newly created report using the original embed/URL code?

I've recently installed the gateway thing through pbi service but that also does not quite solve my issue as I don't seem to be able to direct the refresh to a new model which includes the new data...

Thanks for any help.

Ella.

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

You can download the pbix file from the original report page in Power BI Service, open in Power BI Desktop to add the new data source, then publish again.

9.png

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @v-xicai  for your reply. However this hasn't worked.

I've added downloaded the pbix file from the service as suggested, added a new data source, published to online and it's created a new dataset and new report. It hasn't overwritten any old files.

This is my report pane onmy pbi service. I also have two datasets which are named the same too. 

pbi two reports.PNG

I've published the new version of the report/dataset and it's given me a new URL.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors