Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

viveksharma21
Frequent Visitor

Need help with understanding refresh of dataset

Hello Power BI experts,

I am new to the tool and am having a challenge to understand the strucutring of my data refresh and hence the way i build the visualization. I will try to explain my situation below:

Raw data: the raw data is a download from the planning system. It consists of many columns but I am interested in three columns namely:

a. Scope Item#

b. Discpline 

c. Discipline Status

WIth time, the Scope Item# and Discpline Status keeps changing but i only need to see the most recent ones.

My challenge: I want to build a dashboard where the visualizations can be refreshed with the most recent dataset that i download. I dont need to track historical progress.

Looking for some tips.

Thanks,

Vivek 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@viveksharma21 

Well, since it is going to be Excel/CSV through a weekly download to your desktop then:

1- If you are going to take of the refresh then no need to house the datset @ clients server

2- Yes there is more avanced way to connect but for you will use Import mode

3- Reports are for story telling and filters use, Dashboards are for notifications

4- No need for Gateway since you are the one who is taking care of the refresh once a week

5- Not the case for now, Never mind.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @viveksharma21 

You have different ways to achieve that, therefore you need to answer many questions in order to chose the right approach.

Where the data source is?

How do you want to connect to the data?

Do you need reports or dashboards? do you know the difference between the 2?

Are you gonna need Gateway for refresh?

Live streaming?

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Thanks for the response AJ. I'll answer your questions below:

1. Where the data source is? Data source is on client's server. They use a planning software and I am taking a weekly download right now. Eventually I want to migrate the dashboard over to the client so i'm wondering if it is better to house the data on the clients server as well. 

2. How do you want to connect to the data? I am not sure if there is a more advanced way to connect to the data right now. I am taking excel/csv downloads for now. 

3. Do you need reports or dashboards? do you know the difference between the 2? I would need both reports and dashboards

4. Are you gonna need Gateway for refresh? Based on the above, can you recommend? 

5. Live streaming? this would be ideal to get real time update. But given that i dont know if they have JASON capabilities with the system, im not sure if this is possible rightn now. Thoughts? 

@viveksharma21 

Well, since it is going to be Excel/CSV through a weekly download to your desktop then:

1- If you are going to take of the refresh then no need to house the datset @ clients server

2- Yes there is more avanced way to connect but for you will use Import mode

3- Reports are for story telling and filters use, Dashboards are for notifications

4- No need for Gateway since you are the one who is taking care of the refresh once a week

5- Not the case for now, Never mind.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Got it. Thanks AJ. So if i am taking a weekly download, how does PBIX refresh the entrire data? I mean, the model has to remove the old data and use the new data on every monday. How can i set that up? 

Ok I am going to make it simple to understand :

1- You have the initial Excel file saved in your Computer

2- Open your Power Bi Desktop, Get the Excel file through Import mode

3- Build you report 

4- Create a Workspace in the service and Publish your report into it

5- A week after, you get the newly Excel file(has to be same structure as the initial one)

6- Save it and over write the intial file in your computer

7- Open the report in Power bi desktop, refresh the report and Publish the report to the workspace

8- Voila

All manually done

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

THanks AJ. I have been doing that for the past 2 weeks. Is it possible to automate it?

Yes there is, but the way you described your answers  to my questions says it otherwise. 

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors