Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bokazoit
Post Patron
Post Patron

Need help with Power BI datasets vs. workspaces

Hi

I have created several workspaces named according to each unit in our organization. Everybody can see all reports in each unit, but only people in a unit can create unit in a workspace they belong to. So far so good 🙂

Data they can access is created as a Power BI Dataset, and my issue is that I need to give everyone access to the dataset, without they delete the dataset. I have thought of a few solutions but do not know if it is possible.

1. Can I place the dataset in a workspace I can access only but share the dataset to all workspaces? That way I can update the dataset in my private workspace and the shared dataset will be updated as well since it is like a linked dataset. Is that even possible?
  2. Another solution is to let every access the workspace were the dataset is placed but then only give read access?

I hope You can help here

Best regards

David Skov

1 REPLY 1
SteveCampbell
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Yes, you can share a dataset across workspaces:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-share

As a point, usually I only give workspace access to admins. Workspace access will allow users admin access to a lot, so this is typically a small number of developers.

You can share individual datasets, reports, dashboards or apps. Apps and dashboard are a good way to share multiple reports at the same time, as being shared the users will inherit access to the reports and datasets below it.

You can specify access type too such as read only or build.

As a best practice, please try and share with AD groups and not individual users. This will make your life much easier.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors