Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

desiree
Frequent Visitor

Need help - Moving Average Formula ERROR

Hello,

I am new to Power BI and DAX. I am trying to create a measure for calculating the moving average of 3 monthly sales by area on Power BI Desktop/Service. I have googled many websites but cannot find out what's problem in my DAX formula below..

On the dashboard there is a slicer for area, and also a timeline slicer for date, so the user can analyze the dashboard data for a month or quarter. I want to add a moving average line in the sales bar chart by months. 

I tried below DAX formula:

[3 Month Moving Sum Sales] =
CALCULATE([Sales],
          DATESINPERIOD(Calendar[Date],
                        LASTDATE(Calendar[Date]),-3, Month 
         ) / 3

However, it always displays the same value regradless which time period I select in timeline slicer. It shows the average of latest 3 months data in my data table rather the latest 3 months data I selected in slicer.

In my calendar table, I only include the date exist in data table (e.g. 1-jan-2015, 1-feb-2015, etc..) instead of all consquence dates (1-jan-2015, 2-jan-2015, ...)

Below are my data table.

chart 3.png

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

HI, just did one of these this morning for a 6 wk rolling average $/kg:  

calculate(sum(Data[Operating]),DATESBETWEEN(Data[Week start],LASTDATE(Data[Week start])-42,FIRSTDATE(Data[Week start])))

/

calculate(sum(Data[kg]),DATESBETWEEN(Data[Week start],LASTDATE(Data[Week start])-42,FIRSTDATE(Data[Week start])))

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Oh man I also see your data has 'na' on it. I bet thats a text column. try making another column with value([sales]) or alternately re import the table with the field formatted as number not text.

samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

HI, just did one of these this morning for a 6 wk rolling average $/kg:  

calculate(sum(Data[Operating]),DATESBETWEEN(Data[Week start],LASTDATE(Data[Week start])-42,FIRSTDATE(Data[Week start])))

/

calculate(sum(Data[kg]),DATESBETWEEN(Data[Week start],LASTDATE(Data[Week start])-42,FIRSTDATE(Data[Week start])))

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@desiree in power bi desktop, relationship view check that relation exists between two tables ie calendar table date column and date column in your sales table and for that relationship to exist you need dates in sales table for the dates in calendar table.

@ankitpatira , I have already joined the dates in sales table and calendar table.... Do you have any other idea?

Thank you.

@desiree And dates in calendar table matches with dates in sales table ?

@ankitpatira , yes.. I used pivottable to get the unique dates from Sales table to prepare Calendar table.

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

I had the same issue. I used this blog post and made changes to my DAX. It works perfectly. I do not remember what caused my issues but here is the link to the post:

http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2013/07/moving-averages-sums-etc/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors