Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BBIUser
Helper IV
Helper IV

Need guidance about Power BI on O365 licensed Products and worflow to make Infrastructure decisions

Hi,

My company has a Power BI O365 version which means we have Power BI Pro license and the Power BI tool is very new to us.

1) We have created reports in Free Desktop version. I know that we need Power BI Service to share/publish the reports and dashboards within the organization. Since we have O365, do we still need Power BI Service for publishing/sharing?

2) This is related to Power BI Report Server.

Currently, we have 'Reporting Services' Report Manager 2016 in testing phase.

Is there a way we can use this report manger to publish the Power BI reports/dashboards in here? (without Power BI Services). What is the right approach for this?

I tried reading most of the documents available from the internet but no clear solutions to what I am looking for. Any input will be valuable for me. Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes, you still need a Pro license to share and for people to view those shared reports. If you have an E5 license (Office 365 E5 or Microsoft 365 E5) then you already have the Pro license for Power BI. This is assuming you do not have Power BI Premium and then it is a little different, not everyone needs Pro.

Power BI Report Server is a separate instance of SSRS that includes the Power BI integration.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

HI @BBIUser,

#1,

No, 'Office 365 E5' license contains power bi pro license, it means you not need to pay for power bi pro license. For share contents, you and receivers still need power bi account and license.( you can use your office 365 account to sign up power bi and ask admin to assign license)

Administering Power BI in your organization

#2.

If you mean use Power bi Report Server to publish report to power bi, you can refer to below link:

Quickstart: Create a Power BI report for Power BI Report Server

If you mean SSRS publish to power bi, please take a look at following link:

How to migrate SSRS reports to Power BI and create new reports?

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes, you still need a Pro license to share and for people to view those shared reports. If you have an E5 license (Office 365 E5 or Microsoft 365 E5) then you already have the Pro license for Power BI. This is assuming you do not have Power BI Premium and then it is a little different, not everyone needs Pro.

Power BI Report Server is a separate instance of SSRS that includes the Power BI integration.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks for posting back. I am posting 2 different questions here again -

1) Yes, we have Office 365 E5 license.

So when you mention "you still need a Pro license to share and for people to view those shared reports. If you have an E5 license (Office 365 E5 or Microsoft 365 E5) then you already have the Pro license for Power BI"

Does that mean we have Power BI Service within Office 365 E5 license or does that mean I can share reports within organization without Power BI Service?

2) My question for this one is "Currently, we have 'Reporting Services' Report Manager 2016 in testing phase." Assume, we have the installed the Power BI here.

Can I publish the reports in this report manager and share it within organization?

HI @BBIUser,

#1,

No, 'Office 365 E5' license contains power bi pro license, it means you not need to pay for power bi pro license. For share contents, you and receivers still need power bi account and license.( you can use your office 365 account to sign up power bi and ask admin to assign license)

Administering Power BI in your organization

#2.

If you mean use Power bi Report Server to publish report to power bi, you can refer to below link:

Quickstart: Create a Power BI report for Power BI Report Server

If you mean SSRS publish to power bi, please take a look at following link:

How to migrate SSRS reports to Power BI and create new reports?

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks and appreciate your valuable inputs Xiaoxin. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors