Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Need for calculated measures in online data sets

When creating a data set using eitehr Stream Analytics or a direct connect to Azure SQL Database we need a way to create calaulated measures.  If anyone has a suggestion here that would be great.  Tough to aggregate a percentage when looking at things at a higher grain then the view that is being generated.

8 REPLIES 8
ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@twmarek Online Data sets aimed at importing data and creating standardized out-of-the-box reports. 

If we want to work around more with data and create custom calculations using DAX and calculated columns, we can always opt to pull data initially into Power BI Designer and then upload to Power BI Online service. 

@ashishrj But if you do this, you will loose the 'real-time'  functionality, right? Or am I missing something?

Hello,

Anyone solved this?

thank you

Nelson

Hello,

Anyone solve this???

thank you

Nelson

If I pull the date down from the Group on the web, there is no way upload the data back into a group. Unless I missed something, it seems like you can't use measures made in Disigner on models meant for a group. 

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

When I pull the group file I simply save a copy to my computer, make my changes, then drag and drop it back into the data group replacing the existing file. I have successfully done this with files I created as well as files authored by other group members. It generally pulls my calculations in as well. You do have to have access to the data (from database source) in order for it to work. I had an issue with some tables that I didn't have access to but another member did. Sending an approval request and receiving approval fixed that error.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

JenUnderwood
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi Tom,

If using Azure Stream Analytics, that solution has an online query language with windowing functions, aggregates and other capabiltiles. See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn834998.aspx

Hope that helps.

Jen Underwood
Principal Program Manager, BI

Calculated Measures are now supported in Power BI Designer. Have you tried that?

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/556656-tutorial-create-your-own-measures-in-power...

pbi.png

Author, Consultant, Speaker
https://radacad.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors