Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need clarification on few use cases for PBI licensing

Hi, I am seeking some guidance on licensing requirements in PBI.

I am clear with PBI creators require PRO licenses.

1. In an organization where let's say there are 25 users, 3 content creators and 22 consumers/readers, if the consumers want to view the report in PBI service, do they need PRO license or not?

2. Other use case is let's say in an organization with 1000 users and they have premium licesning, 15 are creators and other 985 are consumers/readers and Row level security is configured in the report. Do the 985 consumers need pro licenses or would they be able to view the report without it (as they are under premium hood)?  Anohter question for similar user base would be , if no RLS, can the consumers view the report in PBI service?

3. For PBI report server, do the content creators need pro licenses and consumers dont'?

if someone can provide clarification on above, it will be a great help, thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

GilbertQ is totally right!  I'd like to add just a little bit.

1. All report content creators and consumers/readers would require a Power BI Pro license.

(If the report is published to web, free user can access it as well. but it's not safe. details refers to: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web)

2. If you were using Power BI Premium, you would only need 15 Power BI Pro licenses for the content creators. As long as the reports were shared via an App, the other 985 users would NOT require a license. RLS will also still work.

(You can share it to free user as long as the report located in the premium workspace, if the app created in permium waorkspace, embed in sharepoint online works for free user as well)

3. For Power BI Report Server the content creators DO require a Power BI Pro license.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

GilbertQ is totally right!  I'd like to add just a little bit.

1. All report content creators and consumers/readers would require a Power BI Pro license.

(If the report is published to web, free user can access it as well. but it's not safe. details refers to: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web)

2. If you were using Power BI Premium, you would only need 15 Power BI Pro licenses for the content creators. As long as the reports were shared via an App, the other 985 users would NOT require a license. RLS will also still work.

(You can share it to free user as long as the report located in the premium workspace, if the app created in permium waorkspace, embed in sharepoint online works for free user as well)

3. For Power BI Report Server the content creators DO require a Power BI Pro license.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for all this info, it’s very helpful.
I have slight confusion, you mentioned if the app is created, would work in sp online.

Now first, is it the App that we create from within the workspace or the app workspace?

Second, for sp online, I believe you can only embed pbi reports so not following how app can be embedded in sp online, some clarification on this would be great.

Thanks again for taking time to answer, much appreciated.

Hi there,

Yes you create the App from within the App Workspace.

Again you are correct when embedding into SharePoint Online you can only embed the reports and NOT an App.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Licensing can be confusing, please see my answers below.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors