Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

osacapcom
Frequent Visitor

Need advice about Power BI cloud ....Is Power BI cloud is SAAS ?

Is Power BI cloud is (SAAS) ?

My current company planning to use Power BI (Cloud) as a BI solution for the company for creating dashboards and data visualization , we already have a local database server using Oracle DB.

We are confused about how to use Power BI cloud for company ? what is the right Power BI cloud for us ?

My manager is thinking that if we go for the cloud package means we have to buy the Power BI license and then we need to buy a cloud server and install the power BI.

I told him I think that is not correct ,if we buy the cloud package we will not to do too much technical stuff , we will only need to install a Power BI local data gateway locally in our company and the data gateway will upload the data on daily basis ,

And Microsoft will provide  you the Power BI as (SAAS) software as service means no need to think about the Power BI installation etc.

I'm also confused about is Power BI Cloud = Power BI online service ?

Can anybody advice me please .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NovaBI
Helper V
Helper V

Your short wrap-up is okay. 

First, Power BI Cloud = Power BI Servive (that is the official name of the cloud service)

Second, you will need to decide what kind of license model you want to go for. Pro-Users only, Premium per User or a Premium Capacity for the whole organization.

Spoken simply, yes, you do not need to care for "technical" installation besides the local gateway for on-premise refreshes and some administrative work (e.g. creating workspaces, access rights, e.g.).

Pricing/Models: Pricing & Product Comparison | Microsoft Power BI

Overview about features: Power BI service features by license type - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
NovaBI
Helper V
Helper V

Your short wrap-up is okay. 

First, Power BI Cloud = Power BI Servive (that is the official name of the cloud service)

Second, you will need to decide what kind of license model you want to go for. Pro-Users only, Premium per User or a Premium Capacity for the whole organization.

Spoken simply, yes, you do not need to care for "technical" installation besides the local gateway for on-premise refreshes and some administrative work (e.g. creating workspaces, access rights, e.g.).

Pricing/Models: Pricing & Product Comparison | Microsoft Power BI

Overview about features: Power BI service features by license type - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

Thanks for your answer it really helpful ,

the licnens part is confusing a bit , which lincnes your recommed for ( 2 BI engineers ) and 50 dashboard viewers ?

scenario A: size of data 10 GB,

scenario B: size of data 100 GB.

what is the recommed cloud licens for scenario A and B ?

we don't need high data avaialbality we only need to see yesterday data , we don't need to see current data .

I depends a bit on the conditions you have with Microsoft, but based on your numbers, I think 2 Premium per User Licenses (BI engineers) should be sufficient. All consumers need to have a pro license for consuming/viewing the dashboard.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors