Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

naidu_sandhya
Frequent Visitor

Need Help - 1 PBIX desktop file split into 2 Reports in workspace

I have been using a single PBIX desktop file and publishing to single report in the workspace.

Now I have a new requirement where I want to use the same PBIX desktop file but publish into 2 different reports. 2 of the pages might overlap and 1 new page needs to be created in the new report.

I saw an earlier post from someone suggesting to save a copy of the report and delete the unnecessary pages from the new report. I tried the same but any changes or updates to the pages are not reflecting in the new report. 

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
VahidDM
Super User
Super User

Hi @naidu_sandhya 

Create a copy of your file, change the file name.

In first one keep 2 pages, and in the second one add you new page.

Publish both reports.

(those 2 reports are not connected to each other - you can pubish the first one then create your new report with the published report dataset)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-discover-across-workspaces

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your Kudos🙏!!

View solution in original post

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@naidu_sandhya I would create a new PBIX file. Connect to the published dataset using a Live Power BI connection. You can then copy and paste visuals between the PBIX files as necessary and create new visuals as well.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@naidu_sandhya I would create a new PBIX file. Connect to the published dataset using a Live Power BI connection. You can then copy and paste visuals between the PBIX files as necessary and create new visuals as well.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler , Thank you! I created a new PBIX file then created a live connection of the dataset, copied 2 pages, created new page & published the report. 

VahidDM
Super User
Super User

Hi @naidu_sandhya 

Create a copy of your file, change the file name.

In first one keep 2 pages, and in the second one add you new page.

Publish both reports.

(those 2 reports are not connected to each other - you can pubish the first one then create your new report with the published report dataset)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-discover-across-workspaces

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your Kudos🙏!!

@VahidDM Thank you. I created new PBIX file and followed the instructions per the link you mention. Initially I was looking at using the same PBIX file but I dont think that works. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors