Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dbrandone
Helper III
Helper III

Need Assistance: Permissions problem with viewers

Hi Everyone,

I built a report for a department in my company. I have a premium per user license. I placed the report in an app for testing purposes and shared the link via teams with a user of that department. The user I shared the report with is a pro user, but we will eventually want free users to view the reports also. I was under the assumption that since I am a premium user, then if I create a report and share it with a user and put them in a viewer role, then the user can be a free user or pro user since I am a premium user, is this correct?

If so, why would the user I shared the report with(a link to the app I created with the report inside) get a message saying that he needs premium account to open report?

On a side note, this report was created and sent(while i was a premium user) to this same user but not within an app, and the user was able to see the report, but when I placed it inside an app and shared that link, he now gets the message.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @dbrandone ,

each user needs to be licensed, no matter how the content is accessed. There is only one option where users with a free license can access content, a Premium per capacity. You can embed an app inside Teams and "free" users can access the content.

If there are "only" 100 users, then the most cost-effective way, is to buy 100 Pro licenses.

Hopefully, this adds another piece of information.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @dbrandone ,

please allow me to set some things straight.

1. Premium licensing unlocks features that are provided by a workspace, no matter if this workspace is backed by Premium Per User (PPU) or by Premium by capacity
  2. If a user has a PPU license assigned this user can access
    1. content stored in any workspace (Pro, PPU, Premium per capacity)
    2. content in an app backed by PPU workspace
    3. content in an app backed by a Premium per capacity workspace

A free user can only access content in an app that is backed by a Premium per capacity workspace.

Accessing content from a PPU workspace / App requires this user to have a Premium Per User license assigned.

Hopefully, this helps to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@TomMartens thanks for the information. I guess I was mistaken on the various levels of the licensing of Power BI. We have a relatively small-medium size company(100 people) and about 80 people would only view reports for tracking and status updates where the other 20 will really be using the reports for deep dives into the data and decision making. We are trying to figure out the most cost effective way to distribute the reports out without having to spend $5k per month for premium per capacity. Especially when the majority will just be looking briefly for updates.

Would Power BI within teams still work for free users on a view capacity or will the same AD permissions apply in teams as in the Power BI workspace and App locations?

Hey @dbrandone ,

each user needs to be licensed, no matter how the content is accessed. There is only one option where users with a free license can access content, a Premium per capacity. You can embed an app inside Teams and "free" users can access the content.

If there are "only" 100 users, then the most cost-effective way, is to buy 100 Pro licenses.

Hopefully, this adds another piece of information.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors