Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Zanderson
Frequent Visitor

Necessary permissions to upload pbix files from SharePoint to PBI Service

Hi everyone,

My company is looking into storing all of our .pbix files on SharePoint and uploading them to the Power BI Service through this method below. 

Zanderson_0-1674745274313.png

We are planning on using a PBI service account to own and upload these files, but I've searched all over and can't find a definite answer on what SharePoint permissions that service account would need to get the files from SharePoint and upload them. From my research, it looks like the account would only need Read permissions but that's based off of intuition and one post that may or may not be referencing my situation, and I want something more definite before my company goes through with everything. 

SharePoint permissions can be found here: User permissions and permission levels in SharePoint Server - SharePoint Server | Microsoft Learn

Other post I mentioned is here: Solved: SharePoint Minimum Permissions - Microsoft Power BI Community

Any help/resources would be greatly appreciated!

Note: just to be absolutely clear, we are NOT storing excel files on SharePoint and using those as data sources. We are only storing the .pbix files so we can have some sort of versioning.

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors