Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

MySQL schudeled refresh doesn't work, how to solve?

A company gave us the IP-address and login to connect to their MySQL database. I can connect to it in Power BI Desktop, but when I publish it and want to configure a scheduled refresh through the gateway, it gives an error "MySQL: Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts.". 

I think the gateway can't connect to the server or something like that.

Does someone know what to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Could you please check whether your host name is correct or whether you turn on your firewall?

If you use firewall,please turn off and try it again.

Could you please remove the current one and create one new connection and try it again?

More information about “unable to connect to any of the specific MySQL hosts”:

https://www.codeproject.com/Questions/728680/Unable-to-connect-to-any-of-the-specified-MySQL-2

Please also try the ODBC connection for MySQL.

To Configure ODBC DSN (Data Source Name) Connection for MySQL:

Step 1> Click Add
Step 2> Select MySQL ODBC X.X Unicode Driver then click Finish
Step 3> In pop-up menu,
     A) specify data source name (this is a DSN name that is local to your PC) --- be consistent if sharing this model with other users, and I recommend NOT using spaces in the name --- Ex. rpt_server
     B) specify the TCP/IP server as the server name that you want to connect to
     C) specify the port if different from 3306.
     D) use your username & password to test the connection (these aren't saved)
     E) specify the database
     F) Most important step: Click Details and Check Enable Cleartext Authentication
     G) Click Test, assuming the test succeeded click OK.

To Connect to ODBC DSN Connection:

In Excel or PowerBI, use ODBC connection and select the DSN name that you used in 3A.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-diye-msft @Seth_C_Bauer 

At the moment we are waiting for the company to whitelist our ip adres from the gateway server. I hope this will fix the problem. I'll keep you updated in this thread.

v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Could you please check whether your host name is correct or whether you turn on your firewall?

If you use firewall,please turn off and try it again.

Could you please remove the current one and create one new connection and try it again?

More information about “unable to connect to any of the specific MySQL hosts”:

https://www.codeproject.com/Questions/728680/Unable-to-connect-to-any-of-the-specified-MySQL-2

Please also try the ODBC connection for MySQL.

To Configure ODBC DSN (Data Source Name) Connection for MySQL:

Step 1> Click Add
Step 2> Select MySQL ODBC X.X Unicode Driver then click Finish
Step 3> In pop-up menu,
     A) specify data source name (this is a DSN name that is local to your PC) --- be consistent if sharing this model with other users, and I recommend NOT using spaces in the name --- Ex. rpt_server
     B) specify the TCP/IP server as the server name that you want to connect to
     C) specify the port if different from 3306.
     D) use your username & password to test the connection (these aren't saved)
     E) specify the database
     F) Most important step: Click Details and Check Enable Cleartext Authentication
     G) Click Test, assuming the test succeeded click OK.

To Connect to ODBC DSN Connection:

In Excel or PowerBI, use ODBC connection and select the DSN name that you used in 3A.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

@Anonymous Your assumption sounds correct. Their MySQL db would have to accept calls from your server that you installed the gateway on. Its likely a networking issue that needs to be resolved.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors