Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nfiorilla
Regular Visitor

MySQL Error in Scheduled Data Update

Hi,
I have a MySQL database, were I take data for my reports. I have schedule the data update but the gateway always fail with the following error:"MySQL: Fatal error encountered during data read."

Is it possible to set MySQL net connector, that gateway uses, parameters to avoid this error?

error_powerbi.jpeg

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found this as a soluction

set net_write_timeout=99999; set net_read_timeout=99999

but it`s impossible to set that variables to the gateway or power bi desktop.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2546115/mysql-exception-fatal-error-encountered-during-data-read

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried updating the On-Premise Data Gateway to the latest version?  I'm wondering if the project has been updated to a newer engine but the gateway has fallen behind?

Hi @Anonymous,

It is a new setup. I downloaded the data gateway yesterday.

thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Kick off a refresh using your PBIX file and the Power BI Desktop.  Do you get an error there also?

Did you need to load any MYSQL drivers onto your On-Premise data gateway server?  Could those differ from the ones on your local machine using Power BI Desktop?

@Anonymous, it takes a lot of time, compare to the developer server but it finally update.
Can I set with mysql driver use in the data gateway?
I have set a power bi trial point to the developer server and it works ok. But both server have the same mysql version. They have differents windows.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When the Data Gateway is called as part of the refresh, the gateway server itself does the work.  This is why the drivers that are installed are important.  You are correct that it being a different operating system will mean its drivers will differ slightly which isn't what i'm pointing to.

What i'm concerned with are elements such as whether its a 64-Bit driver.  Whether its the same driver (ignore OS differences).  Things like this.  We want to think about it like this:  "If you were to run Power BI Desktop on the server and do a refresh, would it work?  If it doesn't work, what would you need to do to get it working?"

I installed the same MySQL Net Connector in both servers. And I'm trying to compare mysql server configuration now.

I found this as a soluction

set net_write_timeout=99999; set net_read_timeout=99999

but it`s impossible to set that variables to the gateway or power bi desktop.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2546115/mysql-exception-fatal-error-encountered-during-data-read

Hi @nfiorilla,

You can direct add these additional parameter string in advanced option or edit in query editor.

MySQL.Database

Power BI Tips for Working with MySQL

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

I resolve this issue setting the parameters in the my.cnf of MySQL Server.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors