Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dpc_development
Helper III
Helper III

MySQL Dataset does not refresh on PowerBI App

EDIT

The simple way to ask the below original post is: Is it possible to publish a Power BI Desktop created report, which connects to Amazon AWS RDS, and then refresh it going forward from the Web App?

-----END EDIT-----

We have a MySQL database hosted on Amazon AWS RDS, and it is public (no SSH).

I created a report using Power BI Desktop and then published it to the web app. While it refreshes data when refreshed through Power BI Desktop, the web app does nothing when I click on the Refresh button from the published report.

It is possible to refresh a MySQL database directly from the web app, without Power BI Desktop?

I read something about installing a gateway, but my datasource is on the cloud.

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dpc_development ,

As I know an App in power bi will not be updated automaticly if the content of the workspace has been updated. You should update it manually. If you mean the report, you can set schedule refresh of the dataset to get the new data. Please refer to the online document about Configuring scheduled refresh. Also the gateway is required here. You can download the on-premise gateway to have a try.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

@v-frfei-msft That is my problem, my database is a MySQL DB running in a managed AWS RDS instance. I will not be able to install the gateway in the server where my database resides, as I don't manage that.

I am not sure why a gateway is required in my case though, as my database end point is on a fixed public ip, never changes, is on the cloud, not on-premise, and accessible without SSH / SSL.

Does this mean, my only option is to refresh MySQL in Power BI and publish for the others? That'd be really inefficient while even 3rd party web apps such as DOMO are capable of this.

I also tried connecting Power BI to an AWS SQL Server instance using Direct Query, and even that requires a gateway while the end point is online in the cloud and it being a Microsoft product.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors