Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RichardGAO
Advocate I
Advocate I

My organization will restrict interactive access for all service accounts

My PBI service(online website) has been running by a service account, and the Gateway (personal mode) was also installed and now is running by the same service account.

Generally, I remotely log on the Gateway server using the service account always, but my organization is planning to restrict interactive access of all service accounts, which means we will not be able to remotely log on servers by any service account in future. Certainly, I can added my individual account as the admin of the server then remoterly log on the server by my individual account, but if need the Gateway(personal mode) to register/associate with datasets, I have to *INSTALL* the Gateway using the service account, which seemsingly violates the restriction of interactive access of service account. Do I have any workaround? Thanks!  

2 REPLIES 2
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @RichardGAO,

As far as I know, installing a personal Gateway doesn't need a special Service account. We need to make sure the Gateway has access to the dataset. Please refer to: #download-and-install-a-gateway and #windows-account.

>>>

The gateway needs to have access to the data source. If your personal machine cannot connect to the data source, you may want to consider installing an On-premises Data Gateway on a machine that does have access to the data source. An example of this would be SQL Server installed on an virtual machine (VM) hosted in Azure. You personal machine may not have access to the VM. You could install the On-Premises Data Gateway on the VM instead, and configure the a data source within the Power BI service.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have to say your answer does not match my question at all.

I am using personal gateway in an enterprise usage because MSFT's enterprise gateway does't not support online data which my PBI is using. So we have to use personal edition.   

I never said installing a personal Gateway need a special Service account, and just as an enterprise usage, we should not use a individual account. Besides, my team's PBI service is hosting by a service account, whcih must be used to install the personal gateway, else the gateway cannot be registered in my PBI service at all. And of course, my gateway has access to my data sources.  

I have answered your questions, and let us discuss my questions: 

My PBI service(online website) has been running by a service account, and the Gateway (personal mode) was also installed and now is running by the same service account. I have explained why use a personal edition and why we need using service account instead of an individual account. 

Generally, I remotely log on the Gateway server using the service account always, but my organization is planning to restrict interactive access of all service accounts, which means we will not be able to remotely log on servers by any service account in future. Certainly, I can added my individual account as the admin of the server then remoterly log on the server by my individual account, but if need the Gateway(personal mode) to register/associate with datasets, I have to *INSTALL* the Gateway using the service account, which seemsingly violates the restriction of interactive access of service account. Do I have any workaround? Thanks!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors