Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Matt695
Frequent Visitor

My Workspace permission problem?

Hi All,

I have a user who is having problems with their "My Workspace".  She is logged into PBI Desktop and the service with the same account.  She publishes her report to "My Workspace".  Message box says it was successful.  If she clicks the link in the message box to open the report she gets an error that she does not have permission to the report.  When she looks at my workspace on powerbi.com she doesn't see the report or the datasource.  I added her as a member to a custom group and she can publish the report there and then see it/open it.  Anyone have a clue why her my workspace is acting this way?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

What really happened here was another user had logged into PBI Desktop on her pc at some point but thought it was switched back.  The username and picture in PBI Desktop was showing her name and picture but clearly it was still using his login.  The reports were publishing to his workspace which explains the permission problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Clear browser cache. Sign out of powerbi.com and try to republish the report again. See if this helps.

Thank you for the suggestion.

We just figured it out. I gave the user permission to another workspace but she couldn't see it from PBI Desktop in the publish process. Had her "Switch account" to login again even though PBI Desktop was showing her as being logged in.  At publish she could then see the other workspace and was also able to publish to My Workspace.

What really happened here was another user had logged into PBI Desktop on her pc at some point but thought it was switched back.  The username and picture in PBI Desktop was showing her name and picture but clearly it was still using his login.  The reports were publishing to his workspace which explains the permission problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors