Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hammerblue
Helper I
Helper I

Multiple gateways on one machine: is it a thing or not?

From the documentation:

url https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-getting-started/
pbigwdoc1.PNG

url https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/

pbigwdoc2.PNG

Both articles written by David Iseminger, last updated august 24th and september 6th as of writing this. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @hammerblue,

I just got a feedback that something is wrong with this documentation, and the following clarifications will be updated. Smiley Happy

• You can install up to two On-premises gateways on the same computer, one running in Enterprise mode and one in Personal mode. You cannot have multiple gateways using the same mode installed on the same computer.
  • You can install multiple gateways on different computers and manage them all from the Power BI Service.
  • You can only have a single gateway instance running on Personal mode for a given Power BI user. If you tried to install another Personal mode instance for the same user in a different computer, it would take over the existing one.

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @hammerblue,

I just got a feedback that something is wrong with this documentation, and the following clarifications will be updated. Smiley Happy

• You can install up to two On-premises gateways on the same computer, one running in Enterprise mode and one in Personal mode. You cannot have multiple gateways using the same mode installed on the same computer.
  • You can install multiple gateways on different computers and manage them all from the Power BI Service.
  • You can only have a single gateway instance running on Personal mode for a given Power BI user. If you tried to install another Personal mode instance for the same user in a different computer, it would take over the existing one.

Regards

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @hammerblue,

Based on my test, it seems to be that we can only install one on-premises gateway on a computer. I keep getting the following error if I try to install more. And I haven't found any option to add more gateways on the current gateway settings.

gateway1.PNG

In the mean time, I will try to confirm it with the Product Team to see if installing multiple on-premises gateways on a computer is supported or not, and post back if there is any feedback. Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors