Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple datasets are sharing cached data

Hi,
We have a report that we deploy to our Power BI embedded service. We deploy a report for each customer. That report has the same underlying data model. The report leverages direct query to access data.

Our reporting database is a multi-tenant database. We use row level security in the SQL Server. On the SQL Database the row level security works exactly as I expect it to.

The issue: In Power BI we setup a report for each customer that connects to this report database however each customer has it's own SQL User and password. The SQL username and password is set in the dataset. In Power BI, when I deploy a PBIX for Acme Co, I see their data on their report. When I deploy the PBIX for Fabricam, I see Acme Co's data in Fabricam's report.

Based on my troubleshooting, what I think is happenening is this. Even thought the PBIX files are separte, and they even have a seperate dataset, Power BI is sharing the data cache due to the database server and database being the same, even though the SQL username and password are different.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so how did you work around it?

We are looking to implement Azure AD however that won't go live for us for at least a half year. Once we have that implemented we'll shift the row level security to either SSAS or Power BI which will eliminate the need for a PBIX file for each customer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

According to your description, I think your issue is related to certificate.

AFAIK, current power bi desktop only support one certificate per datasource, power bi will use stored certificate to connect to datasource.

So I'd like to suggest you to modify stored certificate on power bi service and try again.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

According to your description, I think your issue is related to certificate.

AFAIK, current power bi desktop only support one certificate per datasource, power bi will use stored certificate to connect to datasource.

So I'd like to suggest you to modify stored certificate on power bi service and try again.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors