Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mansi
Frequent Visitor

Multiple data source SASS Cube and SQL azure DB

Hi All

I need to import data from multiple data source:

1. on-premises SSAS

2. Azure SQL DB

Also, I would need to create relationships between the two and hence would import the data instead of Direct Query. We can set up an on-premises gateway for the SSAS and till I understand we don't need a gateway for Azure SQL DB.

Will Power BI Service allow me to schedule refresh in this scenario? If not, does anyone have better suggestions the best possible work around for this scenario?

Appreciate any help!

Thanks

Mansi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @mansi,

Sorry for my confused reply. 

Since you combined SSAS and SQL Azure DB in a single dataset, to set schedule refresh for data source, you need to add gateway for both SSAS and Azure SQL DB.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mansi,

Importing data from Azure SQL database is not supported in PBI Service. For that, you need to use PBI Desktop.

Since you combine SSAS data source and Azure SQL database data source in a single dataset ( single Power BI desktop .pbix file), when you publish the PBIX file to Power BI Service, personal gateway is required when setting schedule refresh.

So, for your question "Will Power BI Service allow me to schedule refresh in this scenario", it is yes. You only need to set the refresh schedule for this single dataset, multiple data source will be refreshed.

Reference:  SQL Azure Import Data Refresh

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-yulgu-msft for your response.

When you mention: "You only need to set the refresh schedule for this single dataset, multiple data source will be refreshed."

Did you mean that, I need to only add the SSAS data source to the gateway and no need to add Azure SQL DB to the gateway?

Hi @mansi,

Sorry for my confused reply. 

Since you combined SSAS and SQL Azure DB in a single dataset, to set schedule refresh for data source, you need to add gateway for both SSAS and Azure SQL DB.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Thanks @v-yulgu-msft , this answers my question!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors