Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RogerSteinberg
Post Patron
Post Patron

Multiple Reports Filtered by a parameter from a complete dataset

Hi guys,

I have a dataset that contains data about 10 different countries published in the service.

However, I would like to create individual reports for each country which would ultimately be connected to one dataset so that one refresh is needed. 

I was able to add a "country" parameter to the initial dataset but all it does is filter the source dataset to one country.

How can I achieve this?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @RogerSteinberg 

A template file contains only the query definitions, data model and reports, but not the data. When opening a pbit file the user can enter parameter values. Then only the data matching these query parameters is loaded.

Using template to create reports will   create several datasets (Although they are from the same datasource).59.png 

So  if you want to create a new report without creating a  new dataset,it is suggest to refer to this post  to create a new report by using powerbi dataset and then publish to the same workspace.

Steps are as follows:

connect to datasource -> create report 1->publish to service(dataset1)
->create report2 by using powerbi dataset1->publish to the same workspace(dataset1 ,only create a  report2)

->create report3 by using powerbi dataset1->publish to the same workspace(dataset1 ,only create a report3)->...

One disadvantage is that after the model dateset1 is created, if you want to change it, you can only republish it.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @RogerSteinberg 

Not very clear.

Is this the result you are looking for ? pbix attached

If it is ,please refer to this post for more details.

Best Regards,

So if I create a template for a user to create several pbix from it, once he/she publishes all the pbix onto the server, wouldn't that create several datasets?

My goal is to have one central dataset for one daily automated refresh and have multiple reports for each individual country.

_____________> Report 1: USA

|

Central Dataset----> Report 2: France

|____________> Report 3: Spain

Hi, @RogerSteinberg 

A template file contains only the query definitions, data model and reports, but not the data. When opening a pbit file the user can enter parameter values. Then only the data matching these query parameters is loaded.

Using template to create reports will   create several datasets (Although they are from the same datasource).59.png 

So  if you want to create a new report without creating a  new dataset,it is suggest to refer to this post  to create a new report by using powerbi dataset and then publish to the same workspace.

Steps are as follows:

connect to datasource -> create report 1->publish to service(dataset1)
->create report2 by using powerbi dataset1->publish to the same workspace(dataset1 ,only create a  report2)

->create report3 by using powerbi dataset1->publish to the same workspace(dataset1 ,only create a report3)->...

One disadvantage is that after the model dateset1 is created, if you want to change it, you can only republish it.

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors