Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple Project Dashboards from one standardised report

Hi there

I am fairly new to Power BI but have been tasked creating individual Project Dashboard, updated monthly for the construction projects we are developing (up to 15 projects). 

I want to create a standard report in Power BI desktop with linked to all project data and then filter by project name to create individual reports. This means if updates are required I will only have to update one report, not 15.

When publishing the report I would like the viewer to only be able to see the project filtered by the project name and not be able to switch to other projects. I like to be able to publish the report up to 15 times with a different filter so each report shows data for a different project using the same report.

Is this possible?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Hc261

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please be careful with the terms Dashboard and Report - they have a very specific meaning in Power BI.

What I think you want is one dataset that you then want to use in different reports for different audiences. That is possible and is called a Shared Dataset.  You maintain the data once, and the various reports can consume it as needed (but they cannot modify the dataset).

Now - different audiences pretty much immediately means different workspaces. You will want to create separate workspaces for your distinct audiences, basically one workspace per project. That way users cannot switch to other projects unless you gave them permission to see that workspace.  (if you are on Premium capacity you are actually sharing apps rather than workspaces but the idea is the same.)

Note that nowhere did I mention dashboards - these are something different entirely.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I'm not sure if i understand you correctly. If you are saying dashboard, you may use filter on visual. Create new dashboard for each project name.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
scott_thornburg
Frequent Visitor

Depending on your scenario, one option may be to use a Power BI feature called Row Level Security.  This will allow you to create a single report -- not 15 -- and a single workspace for your users, and show only the specific project(s) they are allowed to see.

The requirements for this are:
1.  All users see the same report design and structure, but see different data content based on Project.
2.  You have a way of mapping users to a project, such as a database table, a SharePoint list, excel or text file, etc. 

Here’s a recent link that may help walk you through this, or let us know if you have more questions.
https://radacad.com/what-do-you-need-to-implement-dynamic-row-level-security-in-power-bi

Hope this helps, 
Scott

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please be careful with the terms Dashboard and Report - they have a very specific meaning in Power BI.

What I think you want is one dataset that you then want to use in different reports for different audiences. That is possible and is called a Shared Dataset.  You maintain the data once, and the various reports can consume it as needed (but they cannot modify the dataset).

Now - different audiences pretty much immediately means different workspaces. You will want to create separate workspaces for your distinct audiences, basically one workspace per project. That way users cannot switch to other projects unless you gave them permission to see that workspace.  (if you are on Premium capacity you are actually sharing apps rather than workspaces but the idea is the same.)

Note that nowhere did I mention dashboards - these are something different entirely.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors