Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mathangi_S
Frequent Visitor

Multiple Login using same account - Power BI Service

Hi,

Could anyone please tell me if multiple users can login at the same time using the same credentials on powerbi.com? 

Since I am sharing my dashboard with multiple users at the same time, I would like to know if this can be done without creating a group option, such that I create one user login id and share my dashboard only to that id, and if multiple users can login to the same account using the same password?

Any reply on this would be of great help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Mathangi_S A couple things to mention here. 

First, when you share a dashboard there is no limit to the number of people that can see it and interact with it. It's a one to many scenerio, you don't need them all to log in to the same place because they each have their own workspace, and the dashboard will show up for all of them.

Second, if you mean that you need multiple users to all have access to change the dashboard/reports and you want to use the same login instead of a Group Workspace I can only imagine you are trying to do this because you are trying to avoid the "Pro" license.

Third, I was able to connect to the same workspace from multiple machines with the same login, but I don't know how that scales.

Fourth, I wouldn't recommend this as every user would have access to fully control the environment and remove dashboards or alter any reports, etc.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
powercbi

We also need this for a slightly different scenario: We have multiple internet-enabled TV displays around the company that need to show the charts for live sales numbers. Since the free account cannot display shared charts, we purchased a pro license for the TV displays to share. We do not want to buy a license for each TV display since all they need to do is the display the same shared chart, and nothing else. The only other option is to publish the chart publicly but we don't want some data to be public.

CaptSunshine

I do wish there was a definitive “Yes” or “No” on this, as one of our accountants is trying to push for “location accounts” that multiple users can share.

I’m pretty sure that this goes against the Microsoft Power BI Service Agreement, but this guy is persistent, and persuasive to the C-Levels, so knowing definitively one way or the other, would be of great importance to me, and to the entire IT Department.

Twilla
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

I had exactly the same question and was wondering if you came to a conclusion regarding your question?

Our organization wants to use Power BI and we want to buy about 10 pro-licenses. We would however want to have one account (the admin account) to be accessable by two consultants working for an external company, as well as by one person from our organization. It seems such a waste to pay for 2 extra licenses just to get support.

I did not find any satisfying answer on the forum yet. 

A reply on this would be much appreciated.

@Mathangi_S A couple things to mention here. 

First, when you share a dashboard there is no limit to the number of people that can see it and interact with it. It's a one to many scenerio, you don't need them all to log in to the same place because they each have their own workspace, and the dashboard will show up for all of them.

Second, if you mean that you need multiple users to all have access to change the dashboard/reports and you want to use the same login instead of a Group Workspace I can only imagine you are trying to do this because you are trying to avoid the "Pro" license.

Third, I was able to connect to the same workspace from multiple machines with the same login, but I don't know how that scales.

Fourth, I wouldn't recommend this as every user would have access to fully control the environment and remove dashboards or alter any reports, etc.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer what if this licence is only a viewer licence and users only have rights to view the report?

So I have a question here, which I keep getting from my accounts, Can they buy one license of Power BI Pro, and assign a user to it, and share the credentials with many other users? and will they be able to login in to different devices at the same time? If you please can give me a reply ..

Thanks

I have a similar question; how many simultaenous logins to the Power BI ?

In my case, the intention is to give a lecture on Power BI to a few dozen people, where the audience will be encouraged to download and install the Power BI app for mobile devices to see in real-time, in their own cell phones, the demo dashboards and reports that are being build and published during the talk.

Can everyone in the audience (say, 30~40 people) simultaneously use a single "guest" account to login to the Power BI Service during this demonstration? Or will I have to create a large number of different guest accounts, one for each person in the audience?

ps: I think there will be no problem concerning license violation, since the intention of the talk is to promote the product to non-users and the guest account would be active for just a couple of hours.

Thank you

Did you have any lick letting 40 users access the one account?

I just need further clarrification, if a client is asking to use one license and share the login creditintials with many users, will this be ok by Microsoft?

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer,

Thanks for your reply!

I guess I understand the scaling part in your comment for multiple user login.

However, your fourth point is confusing, " I wouldn't recommend this as every user would have access to fully control the environment and remove dashboards or alter any reports, etc." - when you say, fully control the environment, does it mean that they would ahve admin rights?

Because currently, for whatever reports/dashboards I share, I am the admin and I am the only person who has the edit access while all other memnbers to whom I share only have the read access!

@Mathangi_S That would stay the same, but my point is that any of those people could delete the shared dashboard from the "user". The users have admin rights within the context of the workspace, not of the dashboards you share with them, they could only delete.

The other more important issue that you need to consider is whether or not your idea violates the Power BI Service Agreement From my understanding, it is implied that only a single user can access and use a single login... Might want to make sure of this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors