Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BigLo
Helper II
Helper II

Multiple DashBoard based on the same dataset

Hi,

I've several Dashboards but the data model is the same. (data sources, data model, measures, added calculated columns, ...) and it  evolve frequently.

What is the best way (clean and easy to maintain) to manage this?

Create a DashBoard to generate a dataset and have this dataset as a source for my 'visualizations-DashBoard'? But then, I have to modify and then publish my 'Dataset-DashBoard' every time I make a modification in my model to update the dataset?

Is there a better way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @BigLo - Yes, the most optimal approach would be: 

Step 1: To create a Dataset file and publish the same to Power BI Service. 

Step 2: Following this you can use Power BI Datasets as a source and connect to the dataset published as part of Step 1

Sumanth_23_0-1619987851168.png

Step 3: Any further model changes - table, measures, calculations will have to be made in the dataset created as part of Step 1

Step 4: All reports connecting to this dataset will automatically see the changes to the underlying dataset - no additional changes / updates are required in the reports 

Do vote/mark this post as a solution and provide kudos if it helped you with your question. This would also help others on the community who may have similar questions. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @BigLo  ,

You can go to configure the scheduled refresh. After the specified time, the data set will be refreshed without changing the name of the data set

v-yangliu-msft_0-1620197675350.png

For related documents, you can check this link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-scheduled-refresh

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @BigLo - Yes, the most optimal approach would be: 

Step 1: To create a Dataset file and publish the same to Power BI Service. 

Step 2: Following this you can use Power BI Datasets as a source and connect to the dataset published as part of Step 1

Sumanth_23_0-1619987851168.png

Step 3: Any further model changes - table, measures, calculations will have to be made in the dataset created as part of Step 1

Step 4: All reports connecting to this dataset will automatically see the changes to the underlying dataset - no additional changes / updates are required in the reports 

Do vote/mark this post as a solution and provide kudos if it helped you with your question. This would also help others on the community who may have similar questions. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @BigLo 

that is the best way. 

See the link below it is a great representation of how and why. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PlrtBm9YN_Q

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors