Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

abay
Frequent Visitor

Multiple Browser windows In Powerbi Service very slow to render

Hello, 

We are having a performance issue when multiple browser tabs are opened in powerbi service.

If I open 5 reports each in different tab (same browser window) the rendering is very fast. 

after the 6th report is opened, the rendering becomes extremley slow to the point where openning apps.powerbi.com takes a while and navigating to other workspaces (not even opening reports) becomes very slow.  If I return to the opened reports (the first 5) they too become slow. However, while the other reports are open in firefox,  if I open a different browser (like chrome) and navigate to one report it is fast.  Is there a limit of concurrent connection/reports opened in the same browser? We cannot be hitting a capacity limit with these very small dataset...

There are a total of 11 reports, each report has one dataset no more than 500 rows, with 3 of the reports having 30 rows, 2 reports just being a text box with no dataset(basically just descriptions).  Only 1 out of 11 has 3 charts on the report, the rest are all one chart reports.

All the reports are refreshed daily by a gateway to a SQL server so the data in imported(not live). 

The pbix for these reports are min 1MB and Max 2.5MB so these are not data heavy reports. No filters/slicers. We have powerbi pro but not premium. We are not a big company with 30 powerbi pro users. (and most dont log in). The workspace for these reports is at 2MB/10GB.

We need them in different tab because we are rotating through the tabs using a chrome/firefox extension for a presentation.

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

have a look at your CPU, GPU and memory usage. I am thinking that when you open all 6 at once something is hitting a max limit which is causing all the tabs to slow down.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

abay
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your reply, my CPU is at 3-5%. My Memory is at 35%.   (I7-7820). I will test on another PC but I doubt that it's the issue.

Regadless of those, it does not explain why I can open a report in chrome very fast ( while the other 11 tabs are still opened in Firefox). This is true if I switch the browsers around. 

If I try to open apps.powerbi.com while the other tabs are opened, it's very slow but concurently on another browser it's fast. seems to be there is a limit on how many tabs can be opened at once per browser...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors