Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple Apps, One Workspace

As an organization that has been avidly using Power BI, we have developed hundreds of reports that need to be accessed across the enterprise. For non-technical users, Power BI Apps are a perfect solution. However, currently our reports are organized in to only two workspaces, those that are used internally by employees and those that are developed for clients externally.

Ideally, we would like to create a separate Power BI App for each of our 15 some departments to prevent non-technical end users from having to search hundreds of reports to access the data they want. The current system would limit our organization to creating only two apps unless we dissembled the current system and rebuilt 15 individual workspaces containing duplicates of the reports for each department. The fact is, however; that many of the reports are applicable to many different business units. 

Is there any workaround for this. Perhaps creating a new workspace for each app and then copying reports to that workspace?? The only issue with that is we would end up with numerous "copied" reports. That would mean that every time a report is changed, we would have to repeat that process for EVERY single workspace. Or at least that is my current understanding. 

14 REPLIES 14
PBILover
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hey did you got any solution on this ?

Hi there

Currently I have not heard any updates.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks @GilbertQ .

Did you find any way to hide set of reports from group of people.

for example : if i have 2 sets of reports,set1 is for group1 and set2 for group 2, and I dont want to see set1 reports by group2 and vice versa.As there is only one app in a workspace, how can we handle this situation(hiding reports ).

(note: i am aware of RLS , but in that case group2 will  know that there is a set1 reports as they can still see those empty reports, i want to hide reports)

Hi there

Currently it is not possible to be able to hide reports based on users in an App.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @PBILover ,

You can use shared dataset option to create multiple report and published the reports as an app.
While publishing into the app , you can include and exlude few reports and dashboards and in permission section add the users to have acceess.

Regards,
Amit

Thanks @Anonymous  for quick reply.

let me check this as i am having Premium workspaces 

Then you still would have to create a seperate workspace for each app, which means potentially duplicating a lot of content. The sugeestion here is to allow multiple apps in a single workspace. In that case what you suggest here would work perfectly.

Thanks @tharding . Is there any way to avoid this duplicate work? i am working on premium workspace

I don't think so That is why we want capability to crate multiple apps in the same workspace.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Could I ask what would be the difference between each of the 15 Workspaces?

If it is that they can only see certain data, but the same report, I would then look at using Row Level Security to limit what they see based on who is logged in?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply @GilbertQ ,

Idealy each business unit would need access to both reports that are specific only to them and reports that are useful to all business units.  My understanding with the trouble of using RLS is that even if aperson does not have access to a report, they still see a blank screen where the report would be. If we ended up putting hundreds of reports into the same application, the application would become extremely cluttered despite having catered access to specific people using RLS, especially amonst those who only need access to one or two reports. This would essentially defeat the purpose of the goal which is to make the interface simpler and more clear for non-technical end-users.

Hi there

Thanks for getting back to me.

Based on your initial question I would agree that you would need to create Business Unit specific Work spaces.

This will avoid the clutter and allow the users to see their reports that relate to them.

You can leverage the shared datasets if you are only going to filter out data in certain reports.

Power BI Blog

Would this be something possible in a future release? It would make sense to be able to create user group specific apps, without having to publish the same datasets to multiple different workspaces.

Hi there

I sure hope that this is coming, I have seen a lot of people asking for the same thing!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors