Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multilingual report in an embedded report

Hi,

I need to embed a Power Bi report in Microsoft Dynamics. This report needs to be in French or in English, depends on the prefered language of the user. The prefered language information is in MS Dynamics.

What is the best way to create multilingual report? Parameters? Bookmarks? 

I would prefer not to create 2 PBIX reports to reduce maintenance and risk of errors.

The report also needs to be automatically translated in the language of the user, so no toggle button. A different URL would be great, there may be other options.

thanks for your ideas!

joel

2 REPLIES 2
denyschamberlan
Frequent Visitor

I'm in the same boat as you with Power BI Embedded. The multilingual reports question was often raised on forum threads and some suggestions have been proposed though IMHO I feel none really met true globalization standards status. It's sad when we know that globalization issue has long been settled in .Net development with the ability to create .resx files in combination with Culture and localization parameters. Some initiative has been brought in a custom bar chart Power BI Visuals with the addition of localization parameters in capabilities.json and the creation of a stringResources repository containing related languages labels translation in separate .json files. That may be an interesting option to adopt in a near future as it avoids reinventing the wheel. Only adding a localization capacity... though I fear some would bark arguing that would involve re-writing the whole Power BI core infrastructure. So perhaps the main and foremost question to answer when you deal with multilingual reports and dashboards  is what needs to be translated in first place. In a straight data visualization point of view, both English & French audiences should see the very same "visual" data display. That is a bar chart or column chart should display the very same "graphic" values, no matter if it's displayed to an English or French audience. Only "text labels" change. Some have brought the idea of using bookmarks in same reports but I felt that easily led to messy "hide n' seek" scenarios. I want to keep things clean. I then thought of simply cloning existing reports in same workspace - renaming them with an "FR" suffix attribute - using PowerShell cmdlets. This way both versions could share the same datasets. Then I thought of simply renaming column names in French "FR" cloned version using reusable M language query. Original English versions would remain clean you say? The problem is modifying column headers in "FR" reports would automatically create a new "FR" associated dataset on publish. That's not what I want. [Sigh...] So I feel all this brings me back to square one - which is decoupling versions in 2 separate environments. This may end up in a costly investment managing and synchronizing both environments. It's a shame considering the fact all this could have been long settled with localization similar to .Net environment. I'm opened to new suggestions but please spare resending same links. I've tried them and none were feasible as none ever came close to true globalization standards status. Thank you for your patience reading this post.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

What is the best way to create multilingual report? Parameters? Bookmarks?  

Here are some links showing how to create multilanguage report with parameter:

Multilanguage Multilingual reports in Power BI

Creating Report With Multiple Languages

The report also needs to be automatically translated in the language of the user, so no toggle button. A different URL would be great, there may be other options. 

Based on my research, I havn't found a valid solution or workaround that can achieve such a requirement.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors