Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aaronallsop

Multi-Tenancy issue with same extensionDataSourcePath

Hi there,
I have a report connecting to a Snowflake database for ClientA deployed to this clients workspace.
Clients have seperate DBs and reports use service accounts to control access and parameters to change the DB.
From the Desktop i publish the report to ClientB's workspace and configure the dataset credentials using ClientB's service account.
This then causes ClientA's report to stop working.
It appears that when the extensionDataSourcePath is the same (probably just the ID in the backend as my colleagues report still functions) then the credentials update against it and cause one or the other client reports to stop working.
I have tried changing the privacy levels but no luck there
Appreciate any assistance

cheers
Aaron

8 REPLIES 8
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @aaronallsop ,

Try to enable End users use their own OAuth2 credentials when accessing this data source via DirectQuery. option in the credential configuration page. Refer this document about snowflake in power bi service: Connect to Snowflake in Power BI Service 

snowflake.png

If you have any error message when connecting to snowflake, you can refer this document to check it: Error Messages troubleshootings 

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

thanks Yingjie Li.

we tried that initially but apparently the user experience was pretty flakky. i wasn't part of that setup so i'll have a chat to the team about why it didn't work out

gregpetrossian
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hey Aaron,

When you check the dataset for Client A's report/workspace is it indeed different credentials from Client B's newly published report/workspace?

What is the user permission level in Snowflake for the service accounts?

Thanks,
The credentials are different across both and after i enter them their respective reports work. So permission levels are not an issue.
But once entered for ClientA, ClientB's report will stop working and vice versa.
Interestingly, when i change the privacy level for ClientA (e.g. to Private) then open ClientB's Data source credentials it shows the updated privacy setting, even though it's in a different workspace

That is really interesting... 

Are you using the same Power BI Desktop instance to publish both? Do you sign into the credentials for Client A service account, publish, then sign out on Desktop before moving to Client B or did you close the Power BI program?

yes - i publish the same report to both workspaces from the same Desktop instance.
I then go into each workspace online and change the data source credentials.
I even renamed the report to get a different data set name, published from desktop, changed credentials online but the result was the same

Why don't you try a different Desktop instance when you publish? Open Desktop > sign in to Client A service account, set up credentials, publish, sign out and close. Then rinse and repeat with Client B. Maybe there is something that is being carried over using the same instance... 

i tried the suggestion but got the same result. When publishing the 2nd report, having closed the first instance, it would come up blank online as though it couldn't connect.

i think we might have to use a gateway to get around this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors