Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sudarshan
Frequent Visitor

Moving to a new Tenant

Hi There,

we are moving a new office365 tenant. All the old reports and dashboards are currently sitting in the old tenant and we want to migrate all of them to the new tenant. From all the articles I have checked, there seems to nothing that points to the right direction. Can someone tell me what is the best way to do this?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sudarshan,

You can Export a report from Power BI service to Desktop (Preview) or if you already backed up pbix files for Power BI reports before, you can publish pbix files to new Power BI tenant, and configure gateways, dashboards same as in old Power BI tenant.  Currently, there is no direct method to migrate Power BI service content to different tenant. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi, 

Keep in mind the Export a report from Power BI service will only work with reports that were created with Power BI for Desktop (after a certain patch level, not sure witch).

Some of the Office 365 Groups content that are created with the workspace such as SharePoint and Ondrive can be migrated using tools tho. 

I hope this helps,

Merci

I hope this helps

Hi Folks,

Here's a link on how you would migrate the reports up to Power Bi embeded where you're required to export then re-import the pbix. In this case there are a couple of APIs to automate the process.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/power-bi-embedded/migrate-from-power-bi-workspace-collections

Thanks,

J

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

After moving to a new tenant and republishing reports, will all dashboards have to be rebuild? Or is there a workaround? Kind regards S.

Hi, 

Keep in mind the Export a report from Power BI service will only work with reports that were created with Power BI for Desktop (after a certain patch level, not sure witch).

Some of the Office 365 Groups content that are created with the workspace such as SharePoint and Ondrive can be migrated using tools tho. 

I hope this helps,

Merci

I hope this helps

Hi Merci,

The Download of PBIX reports from web is only supported after November 2016 Update. Except for Power BI all others are migrated already.

Hi Folks,

Here's a link on how you would migrate the reports up to Power Bi embeded where you're required to export then re-import the pbix. In this case there are a couple of APIs to automate the process.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/power-bi-embedded/migrate-from-power-bi-workspace-collections

Thanks,

J

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sudarshan,

You can Export a report from Power BI service to Desktop (Preview) or if you already backed up pbix files for Power BI reports before, you can publish pbix files to new Power BI tenant, and configure gateways, dashboards same as in old Power BI tenant.  Currently, there is no direct method to migrate Power BI service content to different tenant. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft 

Hi,

Is there any update in the tenant migration process or still need to follow the solution shared? Please advise.

Thanks,

Vivek

Hi Quiyun,

Thanks for this. Unfortunately, we have to go down this path as there is no support for migration of PowerBi reports to a new tenant Unless you are using PowerBi embedded.

Thanks for your help

Hi @sudarshan

I'm in agreement with @v-qiuyu-msft the only way is to export all .pbix files and re-upload.

You will need to re-configure any Data Gateways.

Thanks,

J

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors