Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

robm135
Helper I
Helper I

Moving away from PBI Report Server. Best new way to present report list to users?

We have had SSRS and then PBI SSRS for many years. Our users are quite used to the simple destination to get all reports. I'm also quite used to publishing to PBI SSRS so I've not kept up with what PBI Service has to offer. 

We are going to move away from PBI SSRS and to PBI Service with Pro Licenses for the consumers. 

What is the best simplified way to present users with a location get Reports from? 

I see it as a choice between

1-Publishing Apps to users and letting them get their report list from Apps tab within powerbi.com.

2-Creating a sharepoint site and embedding either Apps or Reports there. 

I'm not a current fan of potentially directing users to the powerbi.com site as it's packed full of stuff they don't need and confusing compared to what they are used to with PBI SSRS. Creating a clean sharepoint site with links/embedding would seem the way to go. 

Anyone got experience with this?

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@robm135 Crystal reports...it's the future...

Seriously though, yes, Apps are the way to go for simple user experience and mass distribution. But, you don't have to abandon paginated reports. PPU and Premium support publishing paginated reports to the Service so you can go that route and maintain your investment in paginated reports and maintain the same user experience.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

ok re Apps (over crystal reports lol)  but how would you present the list of Apps to users? direct them to log into powerbi, maintain a list of links to Apps?, embed the Apps somewhere else like sharepoint?

Well, the Power BI way to do it would be to set the Apps as Featured content so they would just go to the home page and the reports would be listed. Outside of that, yeah pretty much anything would work that can show a list of links to reports, a SharePoint page or whatever. Or, you could surface the Apps in SharePoint Online via embedding or even in a Teams tab. Wherever your users are collaborating on stuff.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors