Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ppvinsights
Helper III
Helper III

Moving Shared Dataset

Hi all,

In the power bi ecosystem you are able to connect a power bi file directly to another published dataset. But what if I want to move the dataset to

- another workspace

- another tentant

Right now I am developing a solution for a customer of mine - and I publish all datasets to my tenant. Right now I want to create a new report using an existing dataset. But when it comes to delivery to my customer I face the problem that I am not able to change connection information in the report which is using the other dataset.

What I already tried: I created a test scenario in my tenant with a dataset A and created a new file B using dataset A. I moved dataset A to another workspace, created another report C using the dataset A (in the new workspace). I unzipped report C and opened the connection-string in the "Connections" file. In file B I updated the connection information in"Connections" with the information of report C - but that did not work. Power BI is not able to open the file anymore...

Any hints?

Thanks a lot

Holger

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure about the implications of being on separate tenants, but I was able to use the "Connection Settings" under Transform data to redirect my report to a copy of my shared Power BI dataset published to another workspace in the same tenant. 

Once I saved the update, I popped open the connections file in the report .pbix and confirmed that the dataset id had changed to the new one.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

My advice is once you have the dataset ready, is to deploy it into your customers tenant.

Then take the report that is connected to the shared dataset, open it under the customers context and then connect to the shared dataset.

I have found trying to edit the PBIX just leads to more issues than doing a manual process.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors