Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BSLATTER
Helper III
Helper III

Moving Power BI Service Region

Hi all,

Was interested if Microsoft has any new methods of migrating a Power BI Service instance? We have a growing Power BI community at our company and are looking to place the PBI Service region to match where our data is living. I've seen posts from 2017 and 2018 that the path to do this is open a ticket with MSFT, who will then delete your PBI Service and set up a new one in another region. My understanding of that is we will be required to save all Power BI reports prior manually and upload again after. I'm hoping there is an easier way as that will be a difficult undertaking.

Any help will be appreciated.

If this is not possible - if we chose a Power BI Premium capacity and placed it in the region with our data - could we hook up our Express Route to write there instead of to the default PBI region? Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Currently as it stands that is still the case where you would have to almost backup and restore all your reports.

You can use Premium Capacity and based on your source data, that would still move via the On-Premise Data gateway if it is on-premise. If it is in the cloud it would then get it from the cloud.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks Gilbert!

Do you know if the Express Route can write from the On-Prem Data Gateway to a dedicated PBI Premium capacity in the region we set the ER up for - or can the ER only work to the region that PowerBI Service is based in?

Hi there

I am not 100% sure how that works.

I would have to suggest chatting to someone knows more about Express Route.

My understanding with the Geo-Location is that it would host the data where you specified, but still transfer the data from where ever your source data is?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors