Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Moving Dashboards dev to Prod without pipelines

I have been asked to look into how to do a full dev to prod process outside of Power BI Premium.

The last step is Dashboards. Is there any way of copying the dashboard from dev to Prod at the moment without Pipelines in Premium?

6 REPLIES 6
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @DebbieE,

you could take a look at the REST API: Dashboards - Clone Tile In Group.

Do have a good look at the points listed there about bounding it to the right report/dataset in the new workspace.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

The problem with the REST APIS is that I have absolutely no idea how to use them so when I read this information I just have no context on what I do with the information. I haven't yet found anything helpful to explain the basics before I even move forward 😞

I will do some more digging to see if i can find some information that explains the basics. I have no idea where to run the code at the moment

Also, it looks like you have to run it tile by tile which seems to be more hassle than recreating the tiles from scratch. How do you get the tile ID. Ah it seems to have to go into the Tiles Details and then go to technical details

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

That can indeed be a steep wall to climb.

I consider this to be a good starting point on REST API's:

Next to that, you could also use PowerShell, which is a bit more approachable:

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

I think this is yet again well beyond me, way to complex a process for simply copying dashboards, and so would be a struggle with other people trying to do this on a regular basis. 

I think Im going to have to report on this an issue as its not really that possible to do within the Dev to Prov process. 

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

I found that article you linked to above and had a read of it and then tried to have had a go at Try it in the original URL and added all the details asked for but all I get is 

Response Code: 404

So no luck at all with the REST API Again.  What could I be doing wrong?

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

It could be that you don't have access to that specific workspace/dataset via the REST API? For some calls you need to be an Admin in your company.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors