Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vanessa
Post Patron
Post Patron

Moving/Copying PowerBI Reports/Dashboards from "My Workspace" to a group

I have a few reports and dashboards which were created under "My Workspace".  I have created a new group and want to copy the reports/dashboards from "My Workspace" to this group.

Is this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@vanessa There is no current functionality that allows you to move reports from one workspace to another. If you created things in the Desktop, you could just re-deploy the PBIX and have the dataset and reports in the Group, but you would need to re-create the dashboard.

If you built everything in the Service, than unfortunetely you would need to rebuild in that Group. (At which point I would suggest starting in the Desktop and publishing it there)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Jayendran
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Actually with the new release of Power BI Deployment Pipelines you can move your reports from one workspace to another workpsace

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-power-bi-deployment-pipelines-preview/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/deployment-pipelines-get-started

sdaviesnz
Frequent Visitor

You can do this programmatically with the Power BI C# SDK client, using the Report.ExportReport and Imports.PostImportWithFile commands. What you'll need to do is use streams, and store the exported report as a file somewhere, e.g.

System.IO.Stream sourceFileStream = await powerBIClient.Reports.ExportReportInGroupAsync(sourceAppWorkspaceId, sourceReport.Id);

// As an intermediate step, I've used the above stream and stored an exported report file in the cloud.

// You could just store it in your local C: drive

// Access the stored file as a stream
System.IO.Stream storedFStream = await storedFile.OpenReadAsync();

await powerBIClient.Imports.PostImportWithFileAsyncInGroup(
    groupId: destinationAppWorkspaceId,
    fileStream: storedFStream,
    datasetDisplayName: sourceReport.Name,
    nameConflict: "Abort"
);

sdaviesnz - Thank you so very much for providing this as a solution!  I'll see if I can take this up using the Power BI C# SDK (even though I'm not that experienced with utilizing the SDK client).  Smiley Happy

Nevertheless, I still think that not having this basic functionality as part of the out-of-the-box solution just shows that this product should still be regarded as in it's "infancy stage".

frankkok
Regular Visitor

I'm very dissapointed in the fact that Im'm unbale to save a report created with the PowerBI Service to a .pbix locally to be modified by PowerBI desktop. The only solution I found is to recreate them in the Desktop version.

This is really basic functionality that should be available...

mz180w
Advocate II
Advocate II

I'm seeing that this post was originally created nearly a year ago and ...

THERE'S STILL NO VIABLE OPTION TO DO THIS!?!?

Honestly!  This concept of providing the means to save an object in a different folder (workspace) is ... what ... 30 years old?

This application has so many great,new features & functions, but lacks so many basic features & functions.

"This application has so many great,new features & functions, but lacks so many basic features & functions."

So true, there's a huge focus on advance features but the basics still need some work. Another example of this I ran in to the other day was scheduling monthly refreshes. Daily and Weekly are available but monthly aren't..

ethan1701

Here's what I just did:

from My Workspace, file > download report (preview).

This downloaded a PBIX file to my PC.

Opened it in Power BI Desktop, hit publish.

Chose my group's workgroup.

needlessly roundabout solution, but simple and works easily.

ethan1701

Here's what I just did:

from My Workspace, file > download report (preview).

This downloaded a PBIX file to my PC.

Opened it in Power BI Desktop, hit publish.

Chose my group's workgroup.

needlessly roundabout solution, but simple and works easily.

@ethan1701 You can only download a report to a PBIX file if it started as a PBIX file. If you build the reports purely in the Service you would not be able to download as a PBIX.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, actually there is an option to copy Dashboard from My Workspace to another.

There is a trick that I've found:

1. You first create a "Content Pack" from My Workspace that includes your Dashboard (it's in the up-most "Settings" menu").

And you make it available to the Group/s of your choice.

2. You go to another Group and Settings- --> View Content Pack and select it.

3. That's it - you see the Dashboard in another group. It's like a "view/pointer" to the original one.

4. Furthermore - if you like, you can right-click it and select "Copy" (Yes, now you can see this option) - and it'll create a copy (not a pointer) of it in that Group.

Enjoy!

Michael

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you make edits in the new workspace will the edits be reflected in the old workspace? And vice versa? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't get the dashboard to group workspace I got only report and dataset 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Folks,

Word of warning about this method: It works great, but then I deleted the content pack in the old workspace after making a copy of the dashboard in the new workspace.  Dashboard is still there, but no longer has anything in it (it's just a blank screen).

You can use this method, but don't delete the content pack!

Just a heads up I found in another article specific to publishing apps.  

Note: Content that originated from copying an organizational content pack cannot be published as part of an app.

If you are trying to copy to another workspace in order to publish an app, you can't do it by copying content pack.  Here is the link for more information:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/distribute-to-large-audiences-with-power-bi-apps/#roadmap

Just a heads up I found in another article specific to publishing apps.  

Note: Content that originated from copying an organizational content pack cannot be published as part of an app.

If you are trying to copy to another workspace in order to publish an app, you can't do it by copying content pack.  Here is the link for more information:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/distribute-to-large-audiences-with-power-bi-apps/#roadmap

Is there any new functionality that allows you to copy dashboards from one workspace to another? Or the best way to accomplish this still using content packs?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Folks,

Word of warning about this method: It works great, but then I deleted the content pack in the old workspace after making a copy of the dashboard in the new workspace.  Dashboard is still there, but no longer has anything in it (it's just a blank screen).

You can use this method, but don't delete the content pack!

I was able to create the content pack from My Workspace and send it to the Group I wanted. I tried going to settings  in the Group but there was no content pack to view.

I had to go to "Get Data" (in yellow at the bottom left corner) and then I was able to select it. I was then able to see the dashboard I had initally created in my Workspace showing up in the Group instead. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried figuring this one out but unable to see my content pack. Can you please publish some screenshots to help on how you accomplished this?

@vanessa There is no current functionality that allows you to move reports from one workspace to another. If you created things in the Desktop, you could just re-deploy the PBIX and have the dataset and reports in the Group, but you would need to re-create the dashboard.

If you built everything in the Service, than unfortunetely you would need to rebuild in that Group. (At which point I would suggest starting in the Desktop and publishing it there)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors