Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TheOckieMofo
Resolver II
Resolver II

Move existing dashboard to App

Question to the Ether,

I have 4 dashboards already created/shared with the entire organization. Now, we want to transition into using Power BI Apps. Is there any way to just copy over the existing dashboards into the app without recreating them from scratch? I guess the same question would go for the reports. It appears the only way to get reports from a personal workspace into an app workspace is to publish the .pbix file directly into the app workspace. You can't copy the report from the personal workspace into the app workspace. Please tell me there's a way to do this, otherwise I have to recreate the wheel several times.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you create them in the Desktop application?  If so, you can click on the ... option next to the dataset name and download the .pbix file.  From here, you can republish it whereever you like.

All my existing dashboards were created via importing data from a SSAS MDX cube into a .pbix file, then creating the model, measures, and report and publishing them to PBI Service. So I do have the .pbix files that I can republish into the service under the app workspace. That's not too bad. It is a little inconvenient, especially since those dashboards are set to auto-refresh via an enterprise gateway. So the .pbix files are a bit stale and will need to be updated.

But the huge rub I would say is in the dashboards. Recreating the dashboards can take a lot of time, depending on the detail of your dashboard. For our organization, we have three major product categories, so our dashboards have metrics addressing all three. So it's just a lot of stuff to repin. Further, and maybe this isn't best practice, but there are several graphics that I place on dashboards that I don't replicate on the report. For example dial guages. I feel like those are great for a dashboard, but for a report you probably want a little more precision and/or more real estate in order to present new/different infomation from the dashboard.

So bottom line, I am hoping there is a way to simply move the report/dataset/dashboard from one workspace to another. In this case from "my workspace" into an app workspace.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think you can move those Dashboards.  I generally opt to downloading the PBIX files to capture the latest data refresh and any online tweaks i've made to the report.  Once published again, connecting it to the gateway and setting the schedule up again is only a few clicks.

Yeah its going to suck about your dashboards, sounds like you've put a lot of work into them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors