Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

biuser6870

Move datasources to new on premise gateway

I have recenetly stood up a new on premise data gateway that is located on an AWS EC2 instance. It is up and running with one mysql datasource connected. 

I need to migrate two existing mysql datasources to the new gateway from our old on premise gateway. Both gateways are configured in our powerbi/365 cloud account under the same username. 

My question is, will removing these datasources from the old gateway and adding it to the new cause any sort of issue for the end users who run reports and have dashboards built? Is there a better way about doing this? I want to make sure nothing gets deleted or that the users wont have to rebuild their dashboards and other work. 

Thanks,

Scott 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

That should not be an issue. Removing the data sources from one gateway and adding them to another will not affect the dashboards/reports, etc. I think that a best practice would be to turn off scheduled refresh for your datasets, move the data sources and then re-enable scheduled refresh.

What should happen if you do not follow this is that you remove the data sources, the report tries to refresh and simply fails, leaving the existing data in place. But if you want to be extra safe, I would follow the methodology above.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

That should not be an issue. Removing the data sources from one gateway and adding them to another will not affect the dashboards/reports, etc. I think that a best practice would be to turn off scheduled refresh for your datasets, move the data sources and then re-enable scheduled refresh.

What should happen if you do not follow this is that you remove the data sources, the report tries to refresh and simply fails, leaving the existing data in place. But if you want to be extra safe, I would follow the methodology above.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors