cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
biuser6870 New Member

Move datasources to new on premise gateway

I have recenetly stood up a new on premise data gateway that is located on an AWS EC2 instance. It is up and running with one mysql datasource connected. 

I need to migrate two existing mysql datasources to the new gateway from our old on premise gateway. Both gateways are configured in our powerbi/365 cloud account under the same username. 

My question is, will removing these datasources from the old gateway and adding it to the new cause any sort of issue for the end users who run reports and have dashboards built? Is there a better way about doing this? I want to make sure nothing gets deleted or that the users wont have to rebuild their dashboards and other work. 

Thanks,

Scott 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Move datasources to new on premise gateway

That should not be an issue. Removing the data sources from one gateway and adding them to another will not affect the dashboards/reports, etc. I think that a best practice would be to turn off scheduled refresh for your datasets, move the data sources and then re-enable scheduled refresh.

What should happen if you do not follow this is that you remove the data sources, the report tries to refresh and simply fails, leaving the existing data in place. But if you want to be extra safe, I would follow the methodology above.

I have book! Learn Power BI from Packt

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: Move datasources to new on premise gateway

That should not be an issue. Removing the data sources from one gateway and adding them to another will not affect the dashboards/reports, etc. I think that a best practice would be to turn off scheduled refresh for your datasets, move the data sources and then re-enable scheduled refresh.

What should happen if you do not follow this is that you remove the data sources, the report tries to refresh and simply fails, leaving the existing data in place. But if you want to be extra safe, I would follow the methodology above.

I have book! Learn Power BI from Packt

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 294 members 3,105 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: