Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cchu
Frequent Visitor

More information: Closing a Power BI Account

Hi,

I have a question with regards to closing a Power BI account.

For example, the user has a Pro license and he have uploaded and published reports in a workspace. My question is, if the user will be exiting the organization, his Power BI account will be closed/deleted/removed. Right? 

What happens with the reports he shared in the App Workspace? Will the reports he shared be deleted also when he leaves?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cchu

My question is, if the user will be exiting the organization, his Power BI account will be closed/deleted/removed. Right? 

If the user will be exiting the organization, it is not neccessary to delete his Power BI account, as a admin of power bi, you could go to Power BI->Admin portal->Go to O365 Admin center, then go to "Active user" page, edit the user name and reset the password, then this Power BI account can be used for anyone else.

What happens with the reports he shared in the App Workspace? Will the reports he shared be deleted also when he leaves?

Based on my test, it can be several situations.

Situation where the report would be deleted when his account is deleted:

this user is a admin of an App workplace and he is the only member of this workplace

Situation where the report would not be deleted when his account is deleted:

(1) this user is a member(not admin, another user is a admin) of an App workplace and he can edit content of this workplace

(2) this user is a admin of an App workplace and other members are granted view or edit permission.

when members are granted permission to only view the content of this workplace, members can't get access to the dataset.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cchu

My question is, if the user will be exiting the organization, his Power BI account will be closed/deleted/removed. Right? 

If the user will be exiting the organization, it is not neccessary to delete his Power BI account, as a admin of power bi, you could go to Power BI->Admin portal->Go to O365 Admin center, then go to "Active user" page, edit the user name and reset the password, then this Power BI account can be used for anyone else.

Based on my test, it can be several situations.

Situation where the report would be deleted when his account is deleted:

this user is a admin of an App workplace and he is the only member of this workplace

Situation where the report would not be deleted when his account is deleted:

(1) this user is a member(not admin, another user is a admin) of an App workplace and he can edit content of this workplace

(2) this user is a admin of an App workplace and other members are granted view or edit permission.

when members are granted permission to only view the content of this workplace, members can't get access to the dataset.

Thank you for the response @v-juanli-msft! It is much clearer now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors