Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Neborad
Frequent Visitor

Model size and Maximum storage

Could anyone can explain to me what is the diffrence between Model size and Maximum Storage?

In example with the PRO licence, Model size is 1GB and Maximum Storage is 10GB, so what is the diffrence?

Does is mean the following:
1. User can use, 1GB per Workspace, maximum 10 Workspace (with 1GB) in total 10 GB 
2. Or if the designer create App Workspace he can have data up to max of 10GB together with the single Workspace (in total for mix 10GB)

But if is the total sum of 10GB why we say that for the PRO licence you can have 1GB of datasets?

However from Premium Capacity P1 we have only 25GB of Model size but how much for the Maximum Storage? Could you give me some example in that situation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Neborad 

Let me see if I can try to explain. Model size and Max Storage are not directly related.

With a Pro licence each user gets 10GB of storage in the cloud. They can have Datasets, Reports, Workbooks and Dashboards stored on their Power BI account up to a maximum of 10GB.

Also with a Pro licence the maximum size of any one Dataset published to Power BI is 1GB. The size of a Dataset depends on the amount of Data in the Datamodel, and how much is repeated data (Datasets are compressed based on repetition, unique columns are not compressed, but columns with repitition of data are compressed).

So a Pro licence holder could have many Datasets in their account, each one up to 1GB in size. They have a maximum storage size of 10GB, which will be those Datasets (the larger part) and Reports and Dashboards that use those Datasets.

Premium Capacity Workspaces enable larger Datasets, starting at 25GB but with Large Model Support rising much larger, and have a greater amount of storage. There is a limit of 100TB of storage for a Premium Capacity. This is not allocated per user but shared throughout the Premium Capacity workspaces. So you can have many more large Datasets in a Premium Capacity.

See: Manage data storage in your workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a question for pbix file which we create in Power BI desktop. Can pbix file size be greater than 1GB or maximum of only 1GB can be achieved in Pro, Premium and Premium Capacity License. Model size mentioned in license is 100GB for PRemium per user and 400GB for PRemium Capacity. What does mean model size?

Can you help on this?

Hi @Anonymous 

A PBIX file contains within it a Datamodel (all the data imported into the Report) and a Report (The Visualisation of the Data in the Datamodel).

If you don't publish it a Datamodel built in Power BI desktop can be as large as the Memory and Disk on your computer will allow, possibly far larger than 500gb or more.

When you publish a PBIX to Power BI, it get split into its components. The Datamodel gets copied as a Dataset hosted by your Power BI tenant and the Report is hosted and linked with the Dataset. The Dataset size is limited according to the licence you have and the workspace you publish it to.

A Pro workspace the maximum Dataset size is 1gb

PPU Workspace maximum Dataset size is 100gb

A Premium Capacity Workspace the maximum size is 400gb

Note that this is important for "Import" Datasets where the data is copied into the Datamodel. Direct connection to a SQL Database does not store data in the Datamodel and so is not subject to the limitations.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Anonymous
Not applicable

The maximum data size is 10GB for Premium and Premium Per User and also depends on the capacity we bought

Subramaniyam_1-1663230568531.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-premium-what-is

For Pro License dataset size is 1GB

mrausch
Regular Visitor

What are the limits when you are on a "Premium per user" plan (not capacity)? 

Neborad
Frequent Visitor

Hi Stuart,
This is the perfect explanation on my question.

This is the key: "Also with a Pro licence the maximum size of any one Dataset published to Power BI is 1GB"

Everything is clear now.

Thanks a lot my friend 

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Neborad 

Let me see if I can try to explain. Model size and Max Storage are not directly related.

With a Pro licence each user gets 10GB of storage in the cloud. They can have Datasets, Reports, Workbooks and Dashboards stored on their Power BI account up to a maximum of 10GB.

Also with a Pro licence the maximum size of any one Dataset published to Power BI is 1GB. The size of a Dataset depends on the amount of Data in the Datamodel, and how much is repeated data (Datasets are compressed based on repetition, unique columns are not compressed, but columns with repitition of data are compressed).

So a Pro licence holder could have many Datasets in their account, each one up to 1GB in size. They have a maximum storage size of 10GB, which will be those Datasets (the larger part) and Reports and Dashboards that use those Datasets.

Premium Capacity Workspaces enable larger Datasets, starting at 25GB but with Large Model Support rising much larger, and have a greater amount of storage. There is a limit of 100TB of storage for a Premium Capacity. This is not allocated per user but shared throughout the Premium Capacity workspaces. So you can have many more large Datasets in a Premium Capacity.

See: Manage data storage in your workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors