Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Missing Usage Metrics for One BI Report

I currently have over 130 BI reports in Service and routinely review the metrics report to see what my end users are using the most.  I noticed one report, which I believed would be popular, does not have any metric usage data.  The old part is that I use this report and so does my manager.  Even our usage is not registering for this report.  Any idea what could be wrong or is this a bug?

I tried re-publishing the report and saw no change.  Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

My issue was resolved by the Microsoft BI Team.  Apparently this was a bug that had to be resolved on Microsoft's side.

If you encounter this issue, I recommend opening a ticket and working directly with the Microsoft Team.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @IamTDR ,

Just confirming as well that this is not a paginated report:

"Report performance metrics aren't available for Paginated Reports. The Pages tab on the Report usage page as well as the charts on the Report performance page don't show data for these types of reports."

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Nope.  This is not a paginated report either. 

HI @IamTDR ,

I would suggest opening a ticket because this is one of those things that "just works" (based on the critieria as we have discussed).  And, since it is working for your other reports this seems quite odd.  One solution, not a great one, if you don't want to open a ticket right off is to delete the app/workspace/report/dataset (to whatever level you can) from the service and then do a Save As from the Desktop with a slightly different name and then re-publish and then wait a day.

Please update us all if you open a ticket.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Taking your suggestion on re-publishing under another title.
I just downloaded my report from service, added 'usage metrics' to the report title and then published.  I then reviewed the report in service.  Now I would expect to see usage data from me tomorrow.  Let see

HI @IamTDR,

Did this report publish from general pbix file or design and mixed multiple report content on power bi service side? Please provide more detailed information to help us clarify your scenario.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

BTW, I'd like to suggest you take a look at the below link about the limitations of the 'usage metrics' feature to confirm if your report meets some of the limitations.

Monitor usage metrics for Power BI dashboards and reports#considerations-and-limitations 
Regards,

Xiaoxin SHeng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Some additional information on this BI report

This BI report was created in May of 2020 using Power BI Desktop. It worked as expected, daily refreshed and user metrics seemed correct. Sometime in early July 2020, I received a request from a user to add a field to a tbale within the report. I then downloaded the report from Service, added the field and then re-published. Afterwards, this report failed to refresh as scheduled. For a few days I had to refresh this report within Desktop and then publish. This report had no issue refreshing from Desktop only in Service. The error message from Service had a 'creditdenial' error. (Which seemed strange as noted above no big edits occuried when I re-uploaded) I finally seemed to resolve this issue by downloading this report and going to Data Settings and clearing permissions. Then I refreshed in Desktop and re-published. Now this report refreshes daily again but this is when I noticed the usage metrics stopped.
Not sure if clearing the permissions caused this issue.

I attempted to re-name this report and publish and that did not work either in getting usage metrics to work. (scheduled refresh did work)

Hi @IamTDR ,

I think it might be time for a ticket if it didn't work again after the re-name.  This just sounds to me like one of those nebulous "something didn't work this one time because of something in the background" problems.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Never filed a ticket with Microsoft.  Do you know where I do so from?

Just go to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/ and click on the "Create Support Ticket"

Proud to be a Datanaut!

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

My issue was resolved by the Microsoft BI Team.  Apparently this was a bug that had to be resolved on Microsoft's side.

If you encounter this issue, I recommend opening a ticket and working directly with the Microsoft Team.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @IamTDR ,

Just to confirm - you have waited at least one day for the report to populate?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Yes I can confirm.   This report is about 1-2 weeks old at this point. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors