Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Migrating legacy Tabular model to Power BI datasets

Hi

We have many legacy Tabular models running in on-prem SSAS servers. We would like to migrate these to Power BI datasets. Is there a way to import the existing legacy model into Power BI or do we need to recreate it all manually?

4 REPLIES 4
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

You can connect to you AS and select import model instead of connect live, later just publish to power bi service.

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are trying to use the new read/write XMLA end points to deploy our existing SSAS models (directquery) to Power BI datasets.  However, they are using the legacy data source types pre 'Get Data', even after migrating to compatibility level 1500 the data sources are not upgraded and can't be deployed as Power BI datasets.  Any suggestions?    

I havent tried this but you could 

1) build a sample dataset connecting to your legacy datsource within PBI desktop

2)publish to power bi service

3) use xmla read to import database back into visual studio

4) compare xmla with your upgraded project xmla n see if you can spot something obvious

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Mariusz . I have published my BI report and I can see the dataset it created. Will this dataset refresh from the SSAS Tabular model, or directly from  the data sources that the Tabular Model uses? I would need the second option so I can decommision the SSAS Tabular Server.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors