Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jeff_973
Frequent Visitor

Migrating from Workspace Collection to Power BI Premium

I am trying to migrate from the Power BI Workspace collection to the Power BI Service and add a Power BI Premium node. Currently, my Workspace Collection and Azure Active Directory is under a subscription that is linked to a personal Microsoft account. I would like to link Power BI Service and my Azure Active Directory Registered App but when I navigate to app.powerbi.com and try and sign in it does not give me the option to use a personal Microsoft account. Does the resource have to be tied to an Office 365 organizational(work/school) account? 

3 REPLIES 3
Jeff_973
Frequent Visitor

I am trying to set up an environment for Power BI Premium. Currently, I have an Azure Active Directory under a personal Microsoft account. I would like to link the two together but when I navigate to app.powerbi.com and try and sign in it does not give me the option to use a personal account. Also, in the portal, if I navigate to the App registration and try and add permissions for the Power BI Service there is not an option in my personal account but there is in my work account. Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to link the Power BI Premium Service to a Personal Microsoft Account/Tenant?

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jeff_973

From what I can understand from your question, YES you need to use an Office 365 Organizational(Work/School) account when signing into app.powerbi.com

Currently as far as I am aware there is no way to migrate workspaces, but this is something in the roadmap.

What I could suggest as a workaround is to create the new Workspace using your Office 365 Organizational(Work/School) account, assign the App Workspace to your Premium node, and then re-create the Dashboard/s (Because the underlying report will be the same)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hello,

Re migration of content from Power BI Azure workspace collection to app.powerbi.com.

1. Information about Power BI embedded migration tool - https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-migrate-tool/#upload-local-file
  2. Code snippets - https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-migrate-code-snippets/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors