Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Migrating PBIX files from one tenant to another in Office 365

Hi All, 

• We need some tool that can help in migrating a PBIX files from  one tenant to another in Office 365. 
  • there are aroud 50-80 PBIX files needs to be migrated. 
  • Q: Do we have any tool that can help? 
  • Q: Do we need to change data connections of PBIX file to another tenant manually? 

Please advice the best pratice for this senecrio. Thanks in advance 

@v-easonf-msft @Greg_Deckler  @GilbertQ 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - The exact guidance here is going to depend on a whole host of factors. In terms of data connections this shouldn't matter for example if all of the data sources are on-premises for example. You may have some luck with the Power BI REST API in exacting all of the files but for 50-80 files, I would probably just brute force it. Go to report, download PBIX, open PBIX, publish to new tenant. Brutally manual but you could probably knock it out in a day or two.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

AFAIK, current you can only do migration operations between workspaces.

Duplicating workspaces by using Power BI cmdlets 

I think this operation should more related to the office instead of power bi, You can take a look at the following blog if it helps to your requirement: (notice: I checked the power bi documents but haven't found any solutions to solve your requirement) 

Microsoft 365 Tenant to Tenant Migration – Tips and Methods 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - The exact guidance here is going to depend on a whole host of factors. In terms of data connections this shouldn't matter for example if all of the data sources are on-premises for example. You may have some luck with the Power BI REST API in exacting all of the files but for 50-80 files, I would probably just brute force it. Go to report, download PBIX, open PBIX, publish to new tenant. Brutally manual but you could probably knock it out in a day or two.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much @Greg_Deckler . and thanks every for your amazing suggestions. Really apprecaite it. 

Further to what Greg said, I would make sure you either have already got all the PBIX files or that you can download them from the Power BI Service.

I have seen some situations where they cannot access the PBIX for different reasons!

But it would be a manual process or could use the Power BI REST APIs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors